Students get their fix at Starbucks grand opening

If anything is important to a busy college student, it's a caffeine boost.

While the Thomas Cooper Library houses computers, historical collections, textbooks and the Student Success Center among other things, on Tuesday it finally welcomed what the hardcore book-hitters have been waiting for: a fully licensed Starbucks.

"I usually didn't want to come to this library," said fourth-year hospitality management student Riley O'Halloran. "But I think having this nice new Starbucks will, it'll bring me in more ... And I like the new seating they have."

The ribbon cutting ceremony for the brand new Starbucks began right where a smaller coffee shop used to be, tucked into the back corner of the library's main level with a spacious and modern seating area.

A team of enthusiastic baristas served a line of students, faculty and staff that stretched back to the Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library. A small tray on the counter held free samples of a "Gamecock Frappuccino," exclusive to the Cooper library. A sign advertising the new drink read:

"Tastes like: strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and a hint of chocolate! With whipped cream and chocolate drizzle."

Fourth-year advertising student Emery Smith actually resolved to give up coffee for the new year, but she was still excited to have a new Starbucks to get her fix of teas and other things.

"It's very close by. Everyone seems really peppy, too," Smith says. "It's a great staff."

The place was getting packed. Famed USC mascot Cocky also dropped by to socialize.

The staff was working hard to satisfy their new customers. One barista, Darrian, even offered this reporter a free sample of an everything bagel — and he enjoyed it. But they had to sadly "close" up shop for just a little while for the ribbon cutting.

The ceremony began and speaking on behalf of Aramark, as well as holding the giant scissors, was Clete Meyers, Resident District Manager for Carolina Dining.

"For me, it's really exciting to be back on campus and working here every single day," said Meyers, a USC alumnus.

"We've had a lot of cooperation from a lot of people to make this happen," he said. This was evident by a row of goody bags next to the scissors to be given to stakeholders who had a hand in the Starbucks project.

By next fall, students can also expect two more fully licensed Starbucks shops: one in the Humanities area of campus and one on the first floor of Russell House.