South Carolina suffers frustrating 4-3 loss to The Citadel

South Carolina was unable to find the rhythm that it needed Tuesday night against the Citadel. The Gamecocks managed to only have five hits in the 4-3 loss, which ultimately allowed the Bulldogs to secure their first win in Columbia since 2009. 

This gives the Gamecocks theirs second-straight loss before heading into a three-game series against SEC rival Georgia this weekend. 

One of the major setbacks for South Carolina against The Citadel was runners in scoring position. They went 1-8 on the night, including squandering a leadoff triple from Madison Stokes in a tie game in the bottom of the eighth. LT Tolbert grounded out, then after an intentional walk to Jonah Bride, Matt Williams struck out looking and Jacob Olson flied out to center. Stokes was one of eight runners left on base by the Gamecocks.

After the game, head coach Mark Kingston was adamant about not sacrificing to get the runner in, stating that the middle of the lineup was up and they were capable to get the job done. 

"Those guys will get him in most of the time," said Kingston. 

On the very first pitch of the ninth inning, Parker Coyne gave up a home run to Ben Peden that proved to be the difference maker of the game. 

The Gamecocks are now 0-4 in one-run games, which adds a lot of pressure to the team as a whole. South Carolina is focusing on its one-run games and improving on them the rest of the season. After the game, Kingston reminded his players just how frustrating this loss can be. 

"I told them, 'We need to be better than that, and that I am tired of losing one-run games,'" Kingston said. "I am tired of losing one-run games, especially in our ballpark." 

The Gamecocks had their fair share of mistakes on defense too. Despite only allowing one hit, Logan Chapman was pegged for two runs that were both earned and also gave up four walks. Kingston said this kind of performance is not what he wants to see out of his pitchers.

“Two strikeouts and four walks is not good enough," Kingston said. "His walks cannot be higher than his strikeouts." 

Chapman also made a mental mistake in the first inning when a bouncer came back to him and rather than trying to get the out at home, he threw it to first. 

"We're doing something like that in these one-run games that should not be happening," Kingston said.

However, there is still time for the Gamecocks to prove themselves. One bright spot for the Gamecocks was Carlos Cortes, who was batting eighth, homered to tie the game in the seventh. Cortes went 2-3 on Tuesday to raise his average from .180 to .203.

The Gamecocks may have learn how to take on their challenges without TJ Hopkins, who's been a key part of the top of the lineup lately. Hopkins was questionable to start the game because of a previous hand injury. However, he ended up starting the game but left after the second inning when he re-aggravated the injury. The question still remains of whether or not his hand is healthy.

The Gamecocks fell to 13-8 (1-2 SEC) on the season and will travel to face Georgia for a weekend series starting on Friday. Big news entering this weekend is that Adam Hill will not be pitching due to some shoulder tendinitis. Freshman John Gilreath will get the Friday start, with Cody Morris throwing on Saturday and Ridge Chapman on the mound on Sunday.