The final show: Wilson set to play one last time at Colonial Life Arena

She's had her senior night, she's had multiple special moments and "lasts" and had countless reasons to celebrate all season. But Sunday night really will be one last special time for A'ja Wilson, as she'll play her final game at Colonial Life Arena. 

The Gamecocks advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament to take on Virginia on Sunday, which is the last game that will be played in Columbia this season. Wilson was disappointed in her play in Friday's game and said she doesn't want to go out playing like that. No. 22 had her 22nd double-double of the year during the first round game, but she still wasn't pleased with how she did. She said after the game that she was going to really watch the film and focus on what she needs to improve on for the next game. 

Whether the Gamecocks win or not, this will be Wilson's final game at Colonial Life and certainly she feels a lot of emotion. She said before the tournament started that all of the emotions were starting to hit her, but they were good emotions 

"It's a lot of emotion, of course, but it's good ... I like the feeling of it ... this is my last time being in the CLA playing in garnet and black so I'm taking it all in, I'm enjoying every minute of it," Wilson said. "This is my last NCAA Tournament, so I'm definitely going to take it all in and enjoy the moment while I'm in it."

Wilson was recently named the USA Today Sports National Player of the Year and espnW Player of the Year. She also has been named as a finalist for both the Citizen Naismith Trophy Women's Player of the Year award for the third straight season and Wade Trophy. Wilson is also the all-time leading scorer in South Carolina history, and has made her mark in numerous other South Carolina records. 

While her list of accomplishments on the court goes on and on, the impact that Wilson has made off of the court is something that everyone will remember. Junior Doniyah Cliney came to Columbia the same time Wilson did and even though Cliney has another year due to receiving an eligibility waiver from the NCAA to compete her first year, she said Wilson has made a huge mark on her. 

"I came in with her ... I'm not leaving with her so it's kind of weird, but she means a lot to this team, and to me as well. She's grown from a freshman into a senior. I feel like, she's like a big sister that I always wanted," Cliney said. "Obviously I've also learned a lot of things just being with her and around her both on and off the court. She's going to leave a great blueprint behind her so it's going to be kind of weird like, just playing in this game on Sunday but I'm happy for her." 

Head coach Dawn Staley has talked many times about the impact that Wilson has left on both her and the program, but still had many positives to say during Saturday's practice. As the regular season started to wind down, Staley said she didn't think about it starting to be the end because she knew she had more time with Wilson. But now that the time is here and Wilson gets ready to play her final home game, Staley said she could never run out of words to describe the person and player Wilson is. 

"She’s impacted everything about the University of South Carolina and everything that our fans and our community are about. And everything that I’m about as a coach," Staley said. "She’s a player that exemplifies what it is to be a student-athlete and what it’s like to have a really good relationship with their coach and every single person who comes into contact with her. It’s truly special.”  

During her senior night, Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin named Feb. 22 "A'ja Wilson Day" and gave her a key to the city. During her senior night, Wilson tried not to think about it being her final regular season home game, and said that the emotions would hit more one it really was her final game. 

"Not yet, not yet, 'cause I know we still have a couple more games to go and we could possibly play in here as well, so I don't think it's finally hit me," Wilson said. "I thought it would hit me honestly but it hasn't, I haven't really felt it but I'm pretty sure that day is going to come and I hope I don't wear mascara." 

Now's the time for Wilson to not wear her mascara because the time has finally come. Regardless of all of the lasts and celebrations she's had and the outcome of the second round game, the emotions will be flowing for Wilson as she steps off the court for one final time on Sunday night.