Opinion: Cyclists should rise up and take over roads

A bicyclist zooms past the "look bikes" signage at Dearborn and Madison in Chicago, Thursday, July 25, 2013. (Antonio Perez/Chicago Tribune/MCT)

Bicycles are the most elegant simple machines available for transportation today. Yet the rate of serious injury or death for cyclists is nearly 40 times that of motorists, with the main cause of accidents being motorist negligence. As a cyclist myself, I think it is time we rise up and seize the means of transportation.

Cyclists are an invisible minority. About 15 percent of Americans make a bike trip at least once a year, a number totaling in the millions. For context, African-Americans make up slightly over 13 percent of the American population. 

The price of oil in the United States has fluctuated greatly over the past five years, and only 40 percent of oil consumed by Americans is imported. The reason America is such close allies with Saudi Arabia is because of its oil production, despite the theocratic regime’s poor record on human rights. Judging from the overgrown toddler currently occupying the White House, I take little comfort that America's addiction to petroleum will not be used against us for leverage. Therefore, cycling needs to become the future mode of transportation for all Americans to maintain our national sovereignty and prevent future wars.

Besides the issue of oil prices, urbanization has greatly increased the population density in American cities. Especially in Columbia, space for cars is running out, and traffic is a burden to everyone due to the city’s crumbling infrastructure and poor city planning. Bicycles are a better way to get around and take up less space than cars, with the added bonus of giving the rider exercise when they would otherwise be sedentary in a car. A bike rack can hold a dozen bikes in the space of two or three parking spots for cars.

Aside from the rational reasons for abolishing motor vehicles, the greater issue at hand is one of dignity. For too long, cyclists have been relegated to the right side of the road. Legally, we are required to remain on the right whenever possible, while also maintaining all of the responsibilities of a motor vehicle. How is it that a group of commuters can be forced by law to limit their freedom of movement while also being held responsible for all of their actions?

For myself, merely changing the main mode of transportation from car to bicycle does not go far enough. To fully understand the oppression cyclists have been subject to, motorists must have their rights restricted, either by law or by community action. When the cyclists take over, we will ride ten abreast down any and every road. We will ignore stop signs and breeze past pedestrians in crosswalks. We have spent too much time trying to go your speed, now you will go our speed.

There are more of us than there are of you.

#aprilfools