Students seek opportunities at career fair

The annual career fair hosted more than 100 employers this year, including BMW, Geico and Spectrum.

The event was hosted by the Career Center at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Teach for America’s leadership development team coordinator, Letia James, said it is important for students to know how to prepare and put themselves in a position where they can succeed and stand apart from their competition. 

“Some of the ones that have differentiated themselves have shown leadership skills, not only while they’ve been in USC, but also outside of the classrooms," James said. "Those are things that show not only grit, but also resilience, as well as leadership skills.” 

BMW representative Atira Hinton looked for potential students for internships. 

“We look for candidates that have above a 3.0 GPA," Hinton said. "They have to have at least thirty credit hours before the start of their internship or co-op. We look for technical experience.” 

Third-year experimental psychology student Caroline Mcdevitt came to the career fair to meet potential employers. 

“I just want to get my feet wet and not be afraid to talk to people and network a little bit,” McDevitt said. 

Fourth-year global studies student Walker Ross had experience and tried to use it to his advantage for his future. 

“Dress sharp. Get ready to talk to people," Ross said. "Practice talking to people beforehand. Just get yourself in the zone to market yourself and see what’s out there for you.” 

Ross got two interviews this week through the career fair, one with Amica Mutual Insurance Company and the other with staffing company Insight Global.

Fourth-year computer information systems student James Milton said the fair introduces students to companies they hadn't already heard of who are looking for students. 

“A coat and a tie is essential," Milton said. "Small things; it’s like a date.”