Preview: Gamecocks set to open 2020 football season against Tennessee

<p>&nbsp;University of South Carolina football player tackles a University of Tennessee player Oct. 26, 2019. South Carolina lost 41-21.&nbsp;</p>
 University of South Carolina football player tackles a University of Tennessee player Oct. 26, 2019. South Carolina lost 41-21. 

South Carolina will open its 2020 football season with the Tennessee Volunteers on Sept. 26 at Williams-Brice Stadium.

The Gamecocks are coming off a 4-8 (3-5 SEC) record in 2019 and are returning 13 total starters from last year, including senior wide receiver Shi Smith and junior defensive back Israel Mukuamu.

However, this season will be much different due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as South Carolina will be playing a 10-game all-SEC schedule and will not be playing archrival Clemson at the conclusion of the regular season.

New offensive identity

Much like the structure of the season, the South Carolina offense underwent some massive changes over the offseason, including the addition of offensive coordinator Mike Bobo after the Gamecocks averaged only 22.4 points per game last season.

The former Colorado State head coach will be bringing a "pro-style offense"  to Columbia that has propelled offenses to average 30-plus points per game, notably during Bobo's time at Georgia as an offensive coordinator.

“Last year, the defense was dominating practice, and now Collin [Hill], he making plays, he talking to me and [Mukuamu], Bobo’s talking to us having practice, talking junk to us; so, everyday, going out there is like a game atmosphere,” junior defensive back Jaycee Horn said. “You know you got to bring your best stuff and, like I said, the offense is really explosive. I can’t wait to see it on Saturday.” 

New quarterback under center

The Gamecocks also brought in graduate transfer quarterback Collin Hill from Colorado State, who won the starting job over incumbent sophomore quarterback Ryan Hilinski over the offseason.

Last season with the Rams, Hill passed for 840 yards with a 67.6 completion percentage and a 158.8 passing efficiency rating before he tore his ACL in the third game of the season against Arkansas.

“[Hill's] a quiet guy, but everyday he comes, he works and he gets his job done,” senior tight end Nick Muse said. “He’s one of those that doesn’t hold his head down and doesn’t think about the last play too much 'cause he’s worried about the next play. I feel like he can control this offense, and if you can control an offense like this, then you got a good shot at winning some ball games.”

Scouting the Volunteers

Tennessee is coming off its second season under head coach Jeremy Pruitt with an 8-5 (5-3 SEC) record and having won its last six games, including a 41-21 victory over South Carolina.

The Volunteers are returning their starting quarterback, redshirt senior Jarrett Guarantano, but are losing three of their four top receivers from last season, including seventh-round draft pick Jauan Jennings.

“They kinda going to come out and probably do the same thing they did last year ‘cause they was successful last year doing that,” Horn said. “But just playing with good eyes, good discipline throughout the whole game, they got a lot of wacky plays. So, we just gotta stay focused and locked in the whole game.”

Nevertheless, the Gamecocks will have to take on an experienced Tennessee running game as the Volunteers return Ty Chandler and Eric Gray, who combined for 1,238 rushing yards last season.

“We've got the best backs in the country,” Volunteer sophomore linebacker Henry To’o To’o said at a press conference. “I've got so much confidence in them, that they're going to do what they need to do to get us a win on Saturday."