Guards Devin Carter, Mike Green join host of Gamecocks in transfer portal

<p>FILE— Freshman Devin Carter being defended by the Missouri Tigers on March 1st, 2022.&nbsp;</p>
FILE— Freshman Devin Carter being defended by the Missouri Tigers on March 1st, 2022. 

After the South Carolina men's basketball team lost its third and fourth players to the transfer portal over the weekend, South Carolina Athletics confirmed Tuesday that freshman guard Devin Carter and junior guard Mike Green have also entered the transfer portal.

"First and foremost I want to say thank you to Coach Frank Martin and the coaching staff for giving me an opportunity to play for the University of South Carolina. Due to the recent changes in coaching at the university, I have decided that it is best that I explore my options in the transfer portal," Carter said in a post on his Twitter account.

Carter was South Carolina’s biggest commit entering the season. He was a four-star prospect from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire and ranked No. 94 in ESPN’s top-100 recruit rankings for 2021. 

During the 2021-22 campaign, Carter appeared in 30 games and started in seven. He averaged nine points and four rebounds a game. 

When the team offense would go stagnant, Carter was a player that would come off the bench and provide the team with a much-needed spark. His presence spread out opposing defenses, making it easier for South Carolina to find gaps to attack. 

Green appeared in just four games for the team this season. In his three-year career as a Gamecock, Green played in 17 games and averaged one point in about three minutes played.

Carter and Green join fellow guards junior Jermaine Couisnard and senior Erik Stevenson in the portal, creating an even bigger hole at the position for the Gamecocks. Their decision to enter the portal leaves the Gamecocks with three guards on the roster, with only one averaging over 10 minutes a game this season.  

The decision to enter the portal does not guarantee Carter and Green's departure from the team. However, if they and the others do decide to leave, new head coach Lamont Paris will have to spend a lot of time searching the nation for their replacements.