David Banush named new dean of University Libraries

<p>FILE—A photo of the exterior of the Thomas Cooper Library on January 13, 2022. Dean of Libraries David Banush began his first day as dean on Nov. 1, 2022.</p>
FILE—A photo of the exterior of the Thomas Cooper Library on January 13, 2022. Dean of Libraries David Banush began his first day as dean on Nov. 1, 2022.

David Banush was selected as the new Dean of University Libraries on Thursday. Banush will begin his position starting Nov. 1. 

The Dean of University Libraries is the chief administrator of multiple university libraries. Supervising the University Libraries' budget, leading the recruitment and retention of librarians and staff and advocating for the libraries are some of the dean's responsibilities.

Banush will take over for Dean Thomas McNally, who has been the Dean of University Libraries for the past 13 years. Banush was chosen through a national search chaired by William Hunnard, dean of the USC School of Law.

“I would ... like to thank Dean Thomas McNally for his leadership of the University Libraries throughout the last 13 years,” Provost Donna Arnett said in an email. 

Prior to his new role as dean of university libraries, Banush served as the associate university librarian for access services at Brown University and then as dean of libraries and academic resources at Tulane University.

Banush has completed two master's degrees. One in Master of Arts in English and American Literature and a Master of Library and Information Science. Banush also recently became a member of the Grolier Club, "one of the most prestigious bibliophilic societies in the country," according to the email.

“This is an exciting time for the University of South Carolina and the University Libraries. I look forward to working alongside Mr. Banush and the University Libraries' faculty and staff to continue supporting and enabling dynamic learning across our campus community,” Arnett said.