Women look to build on historic 2013 season

The demeanor of the women’s soccer team immediately shifts when any mention of the Stanford game occurs.

Their positivity and pep gives way to a shudder and look of regret when they recount how close they were to advancing in the tournament just one year ago.

For the rising seniors, it was the second time in three years the team had suffered defeat at the hands of the Cardinal in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

The 1-0 overtime loss capped an impressive year for the Gamecocks — one that began with an upset of then-No. 7 Duke in just the second game of the season.

This year, South Carolina is scheduled to begin the season with an exhibition match against the Blue Devils. This time, it’s at Duke.

“It’s going to be extremely tough especially because this year they’re going to [be] coming for our throats; especially because we upset them last year,” junior midfielder/forward Raina Johnson said. “But we’re out to get them too because we want to start our year off even stronger than we did last year.”

If the Gamecocks plan a repeat performance against Duke, they must do so without the player who netted the game’s only goal last year. Danielle Au has graduated, and with her she takes her 16 career goals, a mark that is tied for eighth place in school history.

South Carolina must also replace midfielder Elizabeth Sinclair, who started all 23 matches for the team a year ago. Sinclair led all field players with 2,026 minutes logged last season.

“I think that Danielle [Au] and Liz [Sinclair] were both losses for us because both of them started and played for us pretty much through their four years,” head coach Shelley Smith said. “And Liz never really came out of a game. She played a role where people maybe don’t notice her as much, but, to the team, she dictated a lot of our play, and without her it was a little bit unorganized at times.”

Smith admits that replacing Sinclair will be no simple task, but asserts that she’s found something special in freshman midfielder Savannah McCaskill.

McCaskill, who is a graduate of Irmo High School, was one of four four-star prospects in Smith’s 2014 recruiting class. She was one of the top soccer players in the state a year ago, and was presented with the Irmo Golden Boot Award in 2012 when she tallied 33 goals.

“Savannah has already shown the difference that she can make on the field offensively, but also just how she organizes,” Smith said. “A lot of times, as a freshman, they’re afraid to speak up and organize and be direct because that’s what you need out of your players. And she jumps right in there and has the confidence to do that. So, that’s very comforting to see, and I know she’ll make a big difference for us.”

Along with Smith’s recruiting class came Kaleigh Kurtz, who decided to transfer after starting 18 games for the Richmond Spiders.

According to Smith, Kurtz will have the opportunity to play in rotation with returning players like junior defender Carly Ray and junior defender Caroline Gray.

Perhaps one of the most notable names returning for the Gamecocks is senior goalkeeper Sabrina D’Angelo.

D’Angelo added to her list of accolades last season, picking up SEC Defensive Player of the Year honors, as well as an NSCAA first-team All-America nod. She is currently third in career saves with 130.

Although the attention sometimes causes players to lose focus, D’Angelo maintains that she is more fixated on team-oriented accomplishments.

SEC NCAA