Students donate food from Bates to Columbia community

When Shahan Din saw restaurant employees throwing out all of the leftover food last summer, he knew there was a better use for it.

Ever since then, the third-year business student has looked for a way to help donate uneaten food to people in need. Then, at the end of last semester he started a chapter of the national organization Food Recovery Network at USC.

Every Monday and Thursday, members go to the Bates House dining hall to recover the food, package it and take it homeless shelters, churches or any other location that will distribute the cooked food the next day.

“Our dining halls do waste a lot of food, and that’s something that can be mitigated,” Din, the organization's president, said. “People are always looking for some way to have a purpose, and this is a way for them to get involved in the community.”

Harshita Jain, a second-year global health student and public relations director for the USC Food Recovery Network, joined Din's cause because she wanted another way to get involved in the community service aspect.

“They’re so thankful that we’re able to do this for them. It’s just a really good feeling to be able to help out in this way,” Jain said. “You’re giving back to the community, essentially, and it’s not that difficult. It’s an easy, simple opportunity.”

For Jain, the Food Recovery Network is “more than just meetings” — last week, members gave food to an organization that would hand it out for the first time.

“You get to see your work come to fruition very quickly, which is something that can motivate a lot of people,” Dinsaid. “It’s a really great chance to get in touch with those in need and see how other people live.”

Din and Jain agree the hardest part has been expanding the organization.They currently donate most of the food to God’s Storehouse. 

“I don’t consider it leftover food," said Smiley Tynes from God’s Storehouse. "To know that you have students and that they’re interested in helping the hungry is a blessing."

Soon, Din and Jain hope to recover food from restaurants in the community and donate it to more organizations.