Students "feel the Bern" at Sanders Russell House rally

<p>Sander addressed a capacity crowd in the Russell House Theater.</p>
Sander addressed a capacity crowd in the Russell House Theater.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders fired up a capacity crowd in the Russell House Theater Tuesday morning as he held a campaign rally ahead of the Feb. 27 Democratic presidential primary in South Carolina.

Before he spoke inside the theater, Sanders briefly addressed a large group of excited students gathered in the second-floor lobby of the Russell House.

“When we began in South Carolina, we were so far behind it was really pathetic,” he said of his campaign. “I think we were in single digits. We have come a long, long way.”

Sanders rallied those students who are supporters of his to get out and vote. “If we have a large voter turnout, if people begin to stand up and fight back, we can win here in South Carolina, and boy, what a message that would send to the entire country,” he said.

Excited chants of “Bernie! Bernie!” followed his speech.

Meanwhile, a long line of eager students queued up on the Greene Street sidewalk to be let into the rally. “It’s very exciting to see the candidates here at the university,” Garrett Owen, fourth-year visual communications student, said. Though not a supporter of Bernie, he said he’s curious about his appeal.  “I’m more here to see what he has to say,” Owen said.

Sarah Ingraham, third-year women’s and gender studies student and member of USC Students for Bernie Sanders, was thrilled with the turnout.

“We’re really happy that so many people have shown up for Bernie Sanders,” she said. “We really believe in him, we think he’s a great candidate for president of the United States and we’re really happy to see so many people think the same way we do.”

One of those like-minded individuals who showed up was Will Cipolli, a doctoral student and teaching assistant in statistics. He says one reason he’s backing Sanders because of his stance against the control lobbyists hold over of Congress. 

“I think we have a unique opportunity to vote somebody into office who isn’t beholden to any of the special interests,” Cipolli said.

While reporters were waiting for Sanders, who arrived a little late due to his speech in the lobby and a cross-town event at Allen University, they were treated to a Sanders-themed playlist. Highlights included “Power to the People” by John Lennon, “Revolution” by Bob Marley and The Wailers and the famous “burn baby burn” refrain of “Disco Inferno” by The Trammps.

State Rep. Justin Bamberg and civil rights activist Erica Garner introduced Sanders at the rally. USC alumnus Bamberg was the attorney for the family of Walter Scott, a man killed by a North Charleston police officer, and Garner is the daughter of Eric Garner, who was killed by police in New York City.

When Sanders took the stage, he urged students to get involved in the political process.

“Democracy is not a football game. I know here in South Carolina football is pretty important,” he said. “But democracy is not a spectator sport.”

Sanders called for voters to unite in the face of divisive campaign rhetoric. “When we stand together in the wealthiest country in the history of the world, there is nothing that we cannot accomplish,” he said.

On a host of issues, Sanders garnered cheers as he rattled off his platform. He talked about raising the minimum wage, ensuring pay equity for women, providing healthcare for all and overturning the Citizens United Supreme Court decision.

One issue he highlighted was infrastructure reform. “If we can rebuild villages in Iraq and Afghanistan, we can rebuild Flint, Michigan, and communities all over America,” Sanders said.

At one point, feedback came from the microphone during a pause in the candidate’s remarks. Sanders appeared unfazed as he deadpanned, “Is that my electrifying personality?” A shout — “We love you Bernie!” — and cheers soon came from the crowd as he cracked a smile.

“Today, in my view, when we think about public education, we can no longer just think about first grade through 12th grade,” Sanders said, talking about a key part of his platform — the cost of higher education. “That is why I believe we should make public colleges and universities tuition-free.”

“Is this a radical idea?” he asked the audience. The response came back quickly. “No!” several students shouted in unison. “How many of you are going to graduate school in debt?” Sanders asked the crowd. Hands went up all around the room.

Sanders went on to describe his legislative proposal for refinancing that debt. “You should be encouraged to get all the education you need, not punished for doing that,” he said.

As he wound down his speech, Sanders talked in detail about criminal justice reform. He spoke about the need to hold police officers accountable, a desire to see drug addiction and substance abuse treatment rise, a proposal to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level and a plan to restore voting rights to felons.

“Count me in as somebody who, if elected president, will help lead the fight against institutional racism and a broken criminal justice system,” he said.

After his remarks, Sanders took questions from students on topics such as taxes, gun control, climate change and social equality.

Sanders closed the rally by asking for unity and a forward-thinking approach, with a plea to “stand together, think big and create the nation we know we can all become.”