In Brief: 6/26/16

USC raises student parking fees

One day after reports of higher tuition rates emerged, The State reported that USC would hike up parking fees for students starting in the fall. For university parking garages, student fees will increase by $80, and students will pay $10 more to park on surface lots. The increase in permit fees is to supplement improvements for the parking lots and garages including new paint, cameras, pavement and emergency call boxes.

SC legislators try to prevent simultaneous July rallies

A panel of state House members is working to keep groups like the Ku Klux Klan and the New Black Panthers from holding conflicting rallies at the State House next month, as they reportedly did last year. Keeping citizens' First Amendment rights in mind, Senator Harvey Peeler and his panel feel that the two groups should not rally at the same place and time. While pro-Confederate flag groups will still rally at the Statehouse on the anniversary of the flag's removal from the building, these lawmakers still hope to regulate the presence of hate groups.

State Troopers send drunk driving message with Emoji

South Carolina Trooper, Sgt. Bob Beres, has been communicating with Emojis on Twitter to warn citizens of the dangers of drunk driving. According to WLTX, there are already 130 billboards up on state highways with Sgt. Beres' message. The message depicts emoticons of alcoholic drinks, a plus sign, a car, an equal sign and an ambulance in that order. Beres sees Emoji as a simple way to communicate with people.