In Brief: 8/30/16

Roof evidence hearing set for Wednesday

A federal judge will hear arguments about whether evidence in the Dylann Roof trial should be available to the press, The State reports. Charleston based news organizations The Post and Courier and WCBD-TV filed the motion in federal court for access to a Thursday evidence hearing. Former USC professor Jay Bender will argue the case on behalf of The Post and Courier at the hearing Wednesday.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey

Clown reportedly trying to lure children near Greenville apartments

Parents at a Greenville apartment complex are worried for their children's safety after reports of clowns trying to lure children into area woods, WIS reports. The management company that runs Fleetwood Manor was forced to send out a letter warning residents about the sightings. Children who live in the complex reported the sightings to their parents and officials after seeing persons dressed as circus clowns around the complex who tried to lure and bribe them to go into nearby woods.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey

River Bluff holding auction for family of fallen student

River Bluff High School is hosting a silent auction to support the family of a football player who died earlier this summer, WLTX reports. Sophomore Lewis Simpkins died after collapsing at a River Bluff football practice. The auction will take place during the school's opening game on Friday, and it will feature footballs signed by NFL players.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey