South Carolina equestrian edges out Baylor in highly contested showdown

The University of South Carolina Equestrian team kicked off their season against Baylor University this Friday with a 12-6 win.The Gamecocks, just off a 8-2 landslide exhibition win against Alabama, showed they were back in business and ready to claim their spot at the top. With scores that jockeyed neck-and-neck in each division, it was the resilience of South Carolina that propelled them to victory. 

“I think we learned a lot today,” South Carolina Coach Boo Major  said. “We've got a little bit of homework as coaches and student athletes, but overall, very pleased.” 

Opening the event was a showdown between the reining riders. The Gamecocks prevailed with the win in a competition that ran down to the wire. With only half a point in the individual scores separating the two teams, the Gamecocks were able to prevail. Junior Bailey Walters  was able to help take home the win with her score of a 71 over Baylor’s Charlotte Green, who fell just behind her with a score of 70. Walter’s teammate, Madison Thiel, was awarded the title of Most Outstanding Player for her division. 

South Carolina swept the hunt seat over fences events, claiming all five possible points. Madison Sellman, a freshmen from Honeoye Falls, New York, gave an impressive showing with a score of 84 in her South Carolina debut. Fellow rider Madison Butehorn, a junior, snagged the highest score as the 10th rider of the day with an 85. Butehorn was also named Most Outstanding Player for the Over Fences for the day. 

In horsemanship, Baylor and South Carolina ended in a draw, with both teams earning two points respectively. Riders Ashley Reichert and Megan Overberg earned the points for the Gamecocks, with Paige Stopperich ending in a draw against Abbi Demel of Baylor. Overberg also gave the highest score for South Carolina, earning a solid 74 for her ride. 

The match concluded with equitation on the flat, in which Baylor was able to just squeeze past South Carolina with a 3-2 win. Gamecock riders Lauren Fabiano and Katie Mack earned scores of 64 on the flat, the highest tallies for riders on either team.  Mack, a native of Oregon and one of the 11 freshmen on the roster, was also named one of Most Outstanding Players on the day for her ride. 

Major and the team look ahead to next Friday to their match against No. 4 ranked SEC rival Texas A&M. When asked how the team would prepare for their competition against the Aggies, Major let it be known the riders would once again be working hard. 

“We’ll be back at it on Sunday, and see if we can get it to where we’re gonna win hopefully next weekend,” she said. The match is set for 2 p.m. at One Wood Farm in Blythewood, South Carolina.