Blanton provides much needed depth to Gamecocks when healthy

In PJ Dozier’s absence, which was further compounded by foul trouble to Chris Silva and Maik Kotsar, one unlikely player stepped up in the game against Kentucky to try and give South Carolina a chance at beating the Wildcats.

Although it still was not enough to bring the Gamecocks to victory in Rupp Arena, Temarcus Blanton scored a career-high 12 points on just nine minutes of playing time, with 10 of the 12 points coming in the second half.

“I messed up. I should have played him earlier in the game,” said coach Frank Martin when describing his handling of Blanton’s minutes. “I tried to kinda stick with our rotation and I should have just gone with him.”

Blanton, who suffered a major hip injury at the start of his freshman year, was forced to redshirt for all of the 2014-15 season. This injury limited his sophomore year campaign, allowing him to play in only eight games. The same injury still greatly affects him today.

“This is a kid playing on one hip,” Martin said as he detailed Blanton’s injury. “That other hip, the way it’s rebuilt, it’s not meant for somebody to play college basketball.”

Yet after his career high against Kentucky, which came on just six shots, Blanton was content with the way he played.

“Considering all I’ve been through it feels great,” said Blanton after Saturday’s game. “I actually got a good chance to contribute. It felt great.”

Prior to the game versus Kentucky, Blanton had played just 40 minutes for the Gamecocks, scoring 9 points in his limited court time. Yet Saturday offered a glimpse into what a healthier Blanton can provide to the Gamecocks, offering much-needed depth to a foul-plagued and injury-riddled South Carolina team.