Forum celebrates, discusses King's legacy

A panel discussion kicked off the list of events planned for USC to remember the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The commemorative event series continued with a breakfast on Friday at The Zone in Williams Brice Stadium and the MLK Jr. Gospel Fest on Sunday that featured popular local gospel artists.

"These events, coupled with the upcoming MLK Days of service, will surely provide the incentive to serve members of our campus, community and nation," said President Harris Pastides. 

During the forum, state politicians and educators participated as panelists and discussed relevance of Dr. King's work. The forum was coordinated by the Black Law Students Association and was the first of several events that make up the 2017 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration at USC.

The panelists, introduced by moderator and WIS News Anchor Judi Gatson as "champions for civil rights and social justice," discussed the importance of tackling discrimination and hopelessness in underprivileged communities and promoting political consciousness as well as youth engagement and participation in government in carrying on Dr. King's dream.

"It is a sin that people died in South Carolina to register people to vote and yet today young people are so turned off by government that they don't think it's important," former Chief Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court Jean Toal said.

Gatson invited first-year law student Aaron Greene to join the panelists in their discussion, specifically to speak about young people's role in government. Greene recalled his experience while working with Senator Bernie Sanders' campaign and said it is important that young people have the opportunity to offer their opinions in government. He encouraged young people to remember that Dr. King was young but still had a significant historical impact.

"The biggest key we can do is give the young people a seat at the table," Greene said.

Other panelists included retired Sen. Joel Lourie, USC professor Dr. Bobby Donaldson and Richland County Senator Darrell Jackson. The panelists participated in a Q&A from the audience as part of the forum.

The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration will conclude with the second MLK Day of Service on Saturday.