JUCO transfer Olson off to a hot start for Gamecocks

Approaching the warning track during the second inning of South Carolina's 5-4 win over Charlotte, left fielder Zach Jarret seemingly had the long fly ball off the bat of Jacob Olson lined up. Jarret looked back once, and then a second time as Olson's ball caught a late gust before sailing into the left field bullpen.

The home run marked the first of the season for the Gamecocks, although Olson might have achieved that feat a game earlier had the elements not worked in the opposite direction, with the wind knocking down a potential home run in the Gamecocks' 1-0 loss to UNCG during the series finale.

"I think I got the one on Sunday a little more," Olson said. 

Olson, a sophomore who transferred from West Georgia Tech Junior College, didn't enter the season as a lock to earn a starting role in South Carolina's lineup despite slugging .603 last season. After a strong preseason showing, he has now started each of the Gamecocks' four games. 

"[Olson's] a very versatile guy and he gives our lineup flexibility, he gives our lineup athleticism; he gives our lineup an attitude," said South Carolina head coach Chad Holbrook before the start of the season.

Olson primarily played middle infield during junior college, but has made starts in right field and first base for the Gamecocks.

Olson is currently tied with junior left fielder Alex Destino for the team lead in total bases and is hitting .385 in 13 at-bats. 

“We all pick on [Olson]," Destino said. "We don’t think he's got the prettiest swing, but he’s a freak athlete and he can just muscle up about any baseball. I think he’s going to put up really exciting numbers this year."

"They mess with me a lot about just trying to crush balls, but it’s just kind of my style and I do need to try and use all fields," Olson said.

Olson and the Gamecocks will return to action against Kansas State at 4 p.m. at Founders Park on Thursday before embarking on a weekend series against Wright State.