One more stop left on the farewell tour for South Carolina’s seniors

In Saturday afternoon’s post-game press conference, senior guard Duane Notice referred to the final season of his South Carolina career as a “farewell tour.”

He played like he never wanted that farewell tour to end. Notice tallied 15 points, all on three-point shot attempts, and shot 62.5 percent from beyond the arc. His finest sequence of the game came when he hit back-to-back three-pointers from the same corner to ignite a South Carolina run with just over 15 minutes to play in the second half.

Notice could be the key to long tournament runs in the SEC and in March. He has been the Gamecocks' second-best shooter from three-point range, shooting 34.3 percent. Notice is third on the team in scoring, averaging 10.6 points, and is second in minutes per game.

With all of that being said, a hot Duane Notice could provide the Gamecocks with the spark needed to run the table in tournament play. The Gamecocks entered Saturday’s game ranked 210th in the country shooting the three ball and 298th in field goal percentage. The flaw of the Gamecocks is their inconsistent offense. Duane Notice’s big day, along with help from sophomore guard PJ Dozier and freshman guard Rakym Felder, showed the Gamecocks’ offensive abilities when things are clicking.

In a relatively quiet game from fellow senior and SEC player of the year candidate Sindarius Thornwell, South Carolina still managed 82 points. If they can get firing on all cylinders offensively, they are a very dangerous team. The trio of Thornwell, Dozier and Notice can be lethal if they are playing their best games offensively. Notice gives the Gamecocks a spot up shooter beside two very lengthy and athletic guards in Thornwell and Dozier.

South Carolina is one of the best defensive teams in the country, and if it continues to hold teams to under 60 points like Saturday, it is always a contender. The Gamecocks rank in the top 10 nationally in lowest opponent three-point percentage.

Early in the season, Thornwell talked about how he would not let his senior season end like last year's, when the Gamecocks failed to make the tournament after a 25-win season. Now, with Duane Notice’s emergence and reflection on his final home start coming this week, things are pointing up for the Gamecocks and their seniors' farewell tour at a perfect point late in the season.

The farewell tour takes a final stop in Columbia on Tuesday night against Mississippi State before ending the year against Ole Miss on the road. Tuesday is also senior night. It is going to be exciting to see what kind of emotion the Gamecocks come out with in a key game late in the season.