Column: Leading the pack of running backs

The South Carolina football team has used a committee approach when it comes to the backfield.

Three running backs — Ty’Son Williams, Rico Dowdle and A.J. Turner — have seen significant time. The bulk of the caries has been shared between Dowdle and Williams, both sophomores who have scored a rushing touchdown. 

When taking an in-depth look at the season, there is no doubt that Williams stands out as South Carolina’s lead back.

The numbers do not lie; Williams averages six yards per carry, compared to Dowdle’s 2.8 yards per carry. Though Williams did not see any rushing attempts against N.C. State or Kentucky, and has four fewer rushing attempts on the season than Dowdle, Williams has 246 rushing yards compared to Dowdle’s 126 rushing yards. Williams’ longest carry on the season was a 35-yard touchdown, while Dowdle's was a nine-yard carry. 

One statistic that stands out for Dowdle is his 96 receiving yards on seven receptions. Conversely, Williams has garnered 24 yards from six receptions. The Gamecocks could take advantage of this stat, utilizing Williams more in running situations and Dowdle more in receiving situations, especially considering their banged up offensive line. 

Williams has been the most consistent of the South Carolina running backs. When you look at his 35-yard touchdown run against Louisiana Tech, he outran each player in the secondary. That play ended up giving the Gamecocks the lead after an extra point in a close game. Explosive plays like that are what give the Gamecocks an edge against opposing defenses. 

South Carolina could incorporate more of a run-pass option with Williams in the one back set, which would give quarterback Jake Bentley the option after reading the defense to hand the ball off or make a quick pass. Through this, USC could see a massive turnaround in its offensive game. South Carolina has consistently struggled on third down only converting 26 of 66 attempts. This can be fixed by having more production on first and second down, with Williams as the X-factor that will bring new light into the Gamecocks' backfield.