Expectations are high for David Williams' return to Columbia

For the first time since 2013, the South Carolina football team (3-2) will take on SEC foe Arkansas (2-2) at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday.

Former Gamecock running back David Williams transferred to Arkansas at the end of the last season and will be making his return to the capital city. In his first four games with the Razorbacks, Williams scored four rushing touchdowns and compiled 203 net rushing yards. The Daily Gamecock sports staff caught up with Connor Lane, The Arkansas Traveler sports editor, to share his expectations of Williams' return to Williams-Brice Stadium and to preview the upcoming match-up. Follow Lane on Twitter at @UARKConnorLane and read his coverage of the Razorbacks at http://www.uatrav.com/sports/football/.

Q: Arkansas is coming off a high-scoring victory over New Mexico State. What were your observations from the game and what did that game tell you about the Razorbacks? 

A: For me, the win against New Mexico State was not impressive. The only way that game would have had any significance is if the Razorbacks had lost. It showed what was expected, and that is that the Hogs can score on a Sun-Belt team. 

Q: Conversely, South Carolina is coming off a second-half loss to Texas A&M and will not have Deebo Samuel, Bryson Allen-Williams and other key players on the field this week. How do you think the Razorback defense will fare against the Gamecocks' banged up offensive line and running backs Rico Dowdle, Ty'Son Williams and AJ Turner?

A: The Razorbacks have to be breathing a sigh of relief that they are not facing Deebo Samuel. With the beat-up O-line, the Razorbacks should be able to hurry some passes and get enough penetration in the backfield that they impact the tempo of the offense. With the running back corps only averaging 3.0 yards per carry this season, Arkansas will be able to focus more on their major weakness: the secondary. That could bode well for them.

Q: Former Gamecock David Williams will be making his return to Columbia. What do you expect from him against South Carolina's defense? 

A: I expect to see David Williams run well and to score a touchdown or two. He is a very effective tool on the goal line, and he has the speed to break a big run up the middle of the field. He's tied for first on the team for rushing touchdowns, so I believe he knows what to do with the ball in his hands. However, with South Carolina being fourth in the SEC in tackles, it may be hard for Williams to gain a lot of yards on the ground.

Q: The last time these two teams faced, the Gamecocks won 52-7 in Fayetteville on Oct. 12, 2013. What is your prediction (with score) for the Arkansas-South Carolina game and why?

A: I have learned many things from covering the Razorbacks, but one that sticks out to me is to never underestimate the porousness of the Arkansas secondary. If Jake Bentley can get loose behind the offensive line and make the throws he needs to make, the Hogs are going to have a long ride home. That being said, I also believe Arkansas can get behind the line of scrimmage often enough to make that an issue for the Gamecocks. I think it could be a close game, and I have it at 28-24 Razorbacks, but you really never know with either of these teams.