Diver Julia Vincent breaks own school record on Senior Night

On senior night for the South Carolina swimming and diving team, one senior displayed her impact on the program when she broke her own school record on Saturday. 

Diver Julia Vincent achieved her now career-best performance in the 1-meter dive with a score of 365.75, which topped the previous school record she set last season. Head diving coach Todd Sherritt recognized Vincent's accomplishment and what she was able to accomplish on her senior night. 

"Not only was Julia's record-breaking performance a great note to end on at home, it was a really strong best," Sherritt said. "Julia put in two great performances. Objective wise, when you get into a meet and get that kind of thing coming out of the meet, it's really a sweet deal."

Vincent also took home first place this weekend in the 3-meter dive, which she holds the school record for as well. She will graduate in a few months holding the school record for both the 1-meter and 3-meter boards. 

"That score was just huge," Sherritt said of Vincent's 1-meter dive. "It's not easy to get. It came down to her last dive on the 1-meter, and it was one of the dives we were having problems with. That ended up being the highest scoring dive on her list." 

Vincent was not the only swimmer who excelled this weekend. Junior Emma Barksdale almost broke a school record, but came up just short. She swam the second-fastest 1650 freestyle in school history, with a time of 16:15.53. Barksdale took home first place in three events this weekend, including the 400 individual medley and 100 breaststroke. 

The Gamecocks also took home a few more wins in their final home meet of the season, including strong performances from freshmen. Rafael Davila won the 1650 freestyle, and diver Grant Summers won the 1-meter and 3-meter dives. 

South Carolina will travel to Virginia Tech this weekend for their final regular season meet.