Gamecocks score three in the seventh to rally past Lady Vols 5-4

South Carolina got off to a rocky start Saturday afternoon as the Tennessee Lady Vols lead 4-2 for most of the game, but were unable to capitalize on their opportunities to put the Gamecocks away. 

The Gamecocks soon came back and rallied to score three runs in the bottom half of the seventh to walk-off Tennessee for the second straight game to win 5-4. 

Both walk-off wins came when Kenzi Maguire led off the inning for the Gamecocks. 

"Credit to Keniz Maguire for doing it again," head coach Beverley Smith said. "[Getting the leadoff hitter on,] automatically, it just puts so much pressure on the other team to get us out." 

The Gamecocks loaded the bases with one out in the seventh for Cayla Drotar who then hit a fly ball foul, but just far enough for Maguire to score. Mackenzie Boesel advanced to third on the play and Jordyn Augustus advanced to second. 

The Lady Vols then intentionally walked Jana Johns to create a force-out at any base for Kennedy Clark. Clark promptly sent the third pitch of the at bat to the left field wall propelling the Gamecocks to their second straight walk-off win, clinching the series against the No. 2 ranked team in the country. 

The only thing Clark was trying to do was be herself at the plate and execute effectively for her team. 

"[I was trying to] just stay in my own swing, see a pitch and hit it," Clark said. 

The Gamecocks have now clinched the three game series against the Lady Vols, however Clark knows there is still work to be done. 

"Even though we've won the series, we still want to get that third win," said Clark. "Every game counts and it would be nice to sweep the number two team in the nation."

The Gamecocks improved to 27-4 and Drotar herself to 13-1. With the Gamecocks now at 4-1 in SEC play, it is their best five game start in conference play since 2005. The Gamecocks and Lady Vols will conclude the series Sunday with first pitch scheduled at 1 p.m.