B.o.B brings nostalgic tunes to campus

Hundreds of USC students braved the unseasonably cold temperatures to welcome Atlanta-based rapper B.o.B. to Columbia for a performance on Greene Street Wednesday night.

Before the rapper took the stage, Charleston-based brother duo Little Stranger warmed up the crowd with several tracks.

The energetic rapper was welcomed by screaming fans and flailing arms. He performed a few songs from his new album, "The Upside Down," which was recently released in February. He also performed some crowd favorite throwback tracks, including songs from his popular "The Adventures of Bobby Ray" and "Strange Clouds" albums.  

“I’ve been listening to him since I was a child,” said Anna Brugh, a first-year retail management student .

B.o.B. hyped up the crowd by throwing out meet-and-greet passes, T-shirts and even invited students on stage to dance with him. Students were excited to hear some of his most famous hits, taking Snapchat videos as they sang along. 

“I just love some of his songs,” said first-year nursing student Katie-Wrenn Lambert. “They remind me of middle school.”

Among his most popular songs were "Airplanes" and "Magic," both released in 2010. 

“I have been a huge B.o.B. fan,” said second-year public relations student Julianne Domnauer. “I know 'Magic' by heart.”

B.o.B. even got into the USC spirit, signing USC hats on stage and starting the Gamecock chant in the middle of the performance. 

This concert was a part of Carolina Production’s third annual SpringFest. The concert followed an all-day carnival-inspired event including food, a bouncy house and other shows, including a magician. The event was free to anyone with a current CarolinaCard. 

Carolina Productions had great success with Spring Fest last year, which included a performance from country pop singer Cassadee Pope. SpringFest will return next year with more music for students and staff to enjoy.