USC students stand against sexual assault

Events part of awareness month

Sexual assault is not easy to talk about, but there has been dialogue across campus this week as students paint colorful T-shirts to publicize their stance against sexual assault and violence.

As part of the annual Clothesline Project, the shirts will be displayed on Greene Street from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 13 in observation of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. This is one of several events sponsored by the office of Sexual

Assault and Violence Intervention and Prevention under Student Health Services to raise awareness of sexual assault and the resources available on campus.

“It’s one of those things people don’t like to talk about. It’s not fun to talk about, but it’s happening,” said Michelle Eichelberger, the interpersonal violence program coordinator of SAVIP. “Ignoring it is not going to make it go away.”

Creating dialogue about these issues is also one of the goals of this year’s main event, Sexversations, which will take place April 13 from 7 to 9 p.m. in the law school auditorium. Featuring two speakers, including a survivor of sexual assault, the interactive presentation will address issues concerning sexual safety for college students. It will be based on this year’s theme: preventing sexual assault through empowerment.

Zack King, a second-year public health student, is participating in the Clothesline Project with his fraternity, Beta Theta Pi. He heard about the project when Eichelberger visited the Fraternity Council and collected red T-shirts for members of his fraternity to paint this week. The colors of the shirts have different meanings, King said, and red represents men speaking out against relationship violence.

“We hope it makes a statement by having that many red shirts put together and showing that many guys are making a stand,” King said.

Though men are often stereotyped as being the abusers, King discussed how males can make a positive difference by supporting female friends who are victims of sexual assault. In some cases, women may feel more comfortable talking to a male friend about sexual assault because they will feel less judged, he said.

“We’re the people who have the biggest chance to change by speaking out against it or knowing what to do if confronted with the issue,” he said.

When the T-shirts are put on display next week, Changing Carolina Peers will also be passing out handbills of statistics about sexual violence and resources and ribbons as part of the White Ribbon Campaign.

In addition to raising awareness about sexual assault and violence, Eichelberger hopes that these events will encourage victims to seek help and use the resources on campus.

“It’s nothing to be ashamed about or nothing that you have to hide,” she said. “You haven’t done anything wrong when you’ve been sexually assaulted.”