Vendors display work weekly at Marketplace

Boyd Plaza hosts open-air market for Fridays in June

Richard Mahorsky is only one of the many vendors who set up in the courtyard in front of the Columbia Museum of Art, at the corner of Hampton and Main streets, as part of Main Street Marketplace every Friday morning to sell his handmade crafts. Main Street Marketplace will happen every Friday in June from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Boyd Plaza.

Under the label “Shovel Heds Yard Art,” Mahorsky recycles old farm and yard materials into art.

“I read about [Main Street Marketplace] and thought it would be a great place to sell some pieces,” Mahorsky said.

Mahorsky has been making art for about 20 years and said his pieces are specifically for gardens.

The pieces he had on display last Friday were mostly derived from nature as they were insects and plants, all done in bright colors, but Mahorsky said he can do just about anything. He said he finds the pieces sell well in Columbia.

His pieces were only steps away from a table covered by rocks, gems and small wooden trinket boxes from Allen’s Gems and Rocks. The business, which has been going for about five years, capitalizes on a proliferation of “rock hounds” in the South.

Some of the pieces are made and others are found.

“We try to keep all the items [at the Marketplace] either handmade or unique” said Lorri-Ann Carter of Carter Todd & Associates. Carter works with City Center Partnership, an organization that manages the Business Improvement District downtown, in putting on Main Street Marketplace, which has been running for about five years.

Before the Marketplace was held on Fridays weekly, it had been held monthly on Saturdays.

Creative Glass Designs was another vendor present and has been in operation for about two years. Kay Moore, the owner, calls her dichroic glasses the pride and joy of the business.

She makes the glass into beads, plates, necklaces and bracelets. In addition, she sells other accessories.

Francie Bridges was also at the marketplace selling her “famous” croutons. Having owned her business, France’s Catering, since the spring of 2009, Bridges is looking to expand by selling the croutons she had at the marketplace in stores.

“I’m fairly new to Main Street, but I think it needs more advertising,” Brides said. “There are so many things going on, but people just don’t know about them.”

Carter said that advertisement efforts are made as press releases are sent to local media in addition to various posters and signs.

In addition to craft and food vendors, the market also provides music from local artist and will run through the end of June.