Eric Hyman, Chad Holbrook, Scott Swanson receive new deals

Board of Trustees approve new contracts

Any concerns about South Carolina Athletics Director Eric Hyman leaving Columbia have been put to rest.

After Hyman reportedly received overtures to become athletic director at Tennessee and North Carolina, Hyman's alma mater, the board of trustees approved a $75,000 raise last week to help keep Hyman at USC through the remainder of his contract, which expires in 2015. Hyman's current annual base salary is $422,512.

Hyman, who came to USC in 2005, has overseen unprecedented athletic successes, including two national championships in baseball, the first SEC East title in football in school history and a SEC women's soccer championship in 2009. USC has also seen its facilities improve dramatically since Hyman took the job, including Carolina Stadium, regarded as one of the best collegiate baseball facilities in the nation, an elite athlete academic center and the ongoing construction of an athlete's village. Hyman has also been criticized by some for his institution of the YES ticketing program and several hikes in football ticket costs despite the recent economic recession.

"I appreciate the confidence that Dr. (Harris) Pastides and the board of trustees have shown with this contract amendment," said Hyman in a release. "I am a very lucky person and have been blessed to work with some outstanding people. While we've made some progress as an athletics department, we still have a lot of work in front of us. Our objectives remain the same — to be a difference-maker in the lives of our student-athletes, and for our fans and supporters to be proud of their athletics department."

The board also signed off on a raise and contract extension for USC assistant baseball coach and lead recruiter Chad Holbrook, who has been instrumental in the program winning the last two College World Series championships. Holbrook, who also was approached by Tennessee about its head coaching position, now is under contract until 2015. His annual salary has increased to $176,000 from $160,000.

"I want to thank Dr. Pastides, Eric Hyman and coach (Ray) Tanner for everything they've done for me and the confidence they have in me," said Holbrook in a release. "It's been a great three years in Columbia for me and my family, and I look forward to helping the South Carolina baseball team continue to compete for championships for many years to come."

New volleyball coach Scott Swanson also had his contract approved. Swanson is under contract for five years through 2016 at an annual base salary of $100,000. He will also receive a vehicle and be eligible for earned incentives. As a condition of the deal, USC can terminate for cause or without cause at any time. If USC terminates without cause, the school must pay Swanson $50,000 for one year. Swanson can terminate at any time as well, but must pay USC $50,000 if he does so.

Swanson, who comes from Minnesota, helped lead the Golden Gophers to five consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances as an assistant.