Law school fair draws out hundreds

Professionals urge students to prepare for careers early

Over 60 law schools were represented at the annual law fair Friday afternoon, a record number according to Pre-Professional Advisor Sydney Botelho. Consequently, she hopes that this will reflect an increase in the number of students at USC who consider the legal profession.

“We want to broaden the idea of what it means to go to law school,” Botelho said. “Since there are opportunities to specialize in any field regulated by policies — business, education, the environment — it’s an option for any major, as long as they’ve challenged themselves.”

Admissions representatives from schools across the country packed into the Russell House from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. to mingle with students, answer questions about application and admission and promote their respective program’s offerings. According to Max Armfield, admissions director at Elon University School of Law, USC is a “hotspot” for recruitment.

“USC offers a variety of majors, and since there’s no particular major to get into law school, you see a very diverse applicant pool,” Armfield said. “Larger state schools also draw folks from both in and out of state, so you have a plethora of geographic diversity as well.”

Hundreds of students passed through the law fair, from underclassmen exploring the option of law school for the first time to graduate students looking for specifics about degree programs.

First-year political science and mathematics student Trenton Smith already knows what he’s looking for in a law school. While he was able to hear from several different schools, he says he’s definitely keeping USC in mind because of its strong service program.

“I want to go into public interest law, so I’m looking for a school that pushes involvement in the community, not just the GPA of the student,” Smith said.

Ashley Jenkins, a 2010 political science graduate who works as an assistant in the city manager’s office, was enthused to speak with law school representatives as she prepares to take the LSAT in December.

“I’ve heard a lot about some of these schools’ corporate programs and teaching specialties,” Jenkins said. “It’s great to get to speak with someone in person rather than sifting through a lot of information online.”

Though there is no one entry point into law school, Jenkins recommends that students begin their search early.

“Start looking at schools and program offerings now,” Jenkins said. “It’s a lengthy process and you want to have plenty of time to complete it.”

The Office of Pre-Professional Advising will provide another opportunity for career insight Thursday night with a Professional Meet and Greet at Capstone from 6 to 8 p.m. Several prominent USC alumni, including Mayor Steve Benjamin, will be there to share career-building tips with students. Business attire is encouraged.