P-art-y rock: Art, music show previews upcoming production

Trustus Theatre, Jasper magazine join forces to promote 'Passing Strange'

It was nothing less than a party.

Columbia's theatre community came together Friday night to celebrate art and music at The Art of "Passing Strange," a free event previewing of Trustus Theatre's upcoming performance.

The evening was spirited and it was obvious that those in attendance were strong supporters and friends of Trustus' creative team.

Jasper magazine teamed up with the local professional theater company to plan the event, which featured live performances by Major 2 Minor, Vibrations Dance Company and the cast of "Passing Strange." The event also served as an art exhibit for work that will serve as part of the show's set.

Ten local artists were invited to create original pieces inspired by the show. Twenty large canvases were revealed at Friday night's event, and each one provides a unique perspective relating to the themes of "Passing Strange," from coming of age to feeling lost in the world. The paintings ranged from eerie (a silhouetted figure by Paul Kaufmann) to sublime (a nature scene by Lisa Puryear) to psychedelic (a whimsical Cubist-inspired piece by Lucas Sams). All of the art will be on sale throughout the run of the show, with pieces available for pick up after the show closes on April 14. A silent auction was held at Friday's event, but artists also offered their pieces for a noncompetitive "sell now" price.

Attendees were invited to unleash their creativity and help decorate pieces of the set. What started out as three large gray platforms were transformed into colorful works of art. Throughout the evening, guests were free to come up on stage and make their mark on the set. Several cans of paint were on hand and people of all ages picked up brushes and brought their visions to life. Audience contributions spanned a variety of themes and skill levels, from abstract lines to anatomically correct hearts, barbed wire and detailed faces.

"Passing Strange" director Chad Henderson came onstage to welcome the audience and introduce the evening's performers. Collaborating with artists in this capacity is a first for Trustus, but it was fitting for the show.

"We knew this show needed something special," Henderson said.

Local duo Major 2 Minor, featuring "Passing Strange" cast members Kanika Moore and Mario McClean, performed several times during the evening. Their set was filled with blues and jazz-inspired harmonies on original songs like "Fireworks" and "Love." Moore and McClean also brought new flavor to a cover of Adele's "Crazy For You," peppered with vocal runs that showed off their strong range.

Moore and McClean spoke to the audience between songs, even commenting on the evolving state of the set pieces.

"By the way," McClean said, pointing out a turtle and a feather audience members had painted on the platforms, "this artwork's pretty awesome."

Vibrations Dance Company, a local troupe run by "Passing Strange" choreographer and actor Terrance Henderson, brought two very different performances to the Trustus stage Friday night.

The group's first set showcased eight dancers in a routine combining modern, ballet and lyrical dance. Dressed in all white, the group moved gracefully to a peaceful, instrumental track.

Later in the evening, VDC brought a hip-hop routine to the audience. Popping, locking and hair flipping in street clothes, the dancers shook it to a mashup of tracks, including Beyonce's "Run the World (Girls)."

The cast of "Passing Strange" performed two covers during the event. A soulful, gospel cover of The Beatles' "Let It Be" gave all of the cast members a chance to shine and featured heavy improvisation throughout. The cast also sang a unique version of "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls, beating their hands on a wooden stool and the tops of set platforms for percussion noises in their encore performance.

During breaks between performances, the soundtrack of "Passing Strange" was blasting through the speakers, giving the audience a sneak preview of some of the tunes they'll hear on the Trustus stage when the show opens on March 23. The high-energy, rollicking rock score is musically similar to modern Broadway shows like "Rent" and "Spring Awakening" (two shows that have been performed at Trustus in the past), so the show is a good fit for the edgiest of Columbia's local theaters.

In rock show fashion, local music acts will provide opening entertainment prior to curtain for each performance of "Passing Strange." Day Clean, Christopher "CJ" Jackson, Shameka Dwight and The Mobros will alternate opening slots. See Trustus' website, trustus.org, for specific opening band information and dates.

"Passing Strange" will run from March 23 to April 14 at Trustus Theatre. Tickets are $25.