New students strive to avoid ‘Freshman 15’

Dietician: Be deliberate, weigh eating options

As freshmen began classes Thursday, they faced a number of challenges: hectic schedules, new opportunities and a new campus to navigate.

But as the year continues, many will deal with a more subtle struggle — the infamous freshman 15.

For the first time, students are independent adults, in charge of their own lives.

That newfound independence includes eating any food, at any time, said Deborah Zippel, a former sports dietician for the Athletics Department.

They don't have mothers to remind them what to eat and when or, say, to stop them from ordering a pizza at midnight.

It's easier for freshmen to skip meals, Zippel said, making them more likely to reach for empty calories later. As a result, she said "the freedom to eat fast food" is a significant issue facing a student's otherwise healthy diet.

Nutritional food is usually much harder to come by, she added, than fast food, served at restaurants with extended hours and drive-thru options. It's generally more perishable than unhealthy food, too.

When it comes to food, Zippel suggested that one of the most important things to remember is that students really are in control of what they eat.

Zippel said that it is key to "be intentional about your eating" as students navigate campus dining options.

A bagel may seem irresistible, she said, but it's the consumer who decides whether or not to take a bite.

Zippel suggested that students look through all their options when they go to dining halls, instead of jumping for what looks best.

If they do, she said, they're not only are more likely to fully understand their options, but they'll have time to make a better decision.

But regular exercise is important, too, and students said this week they planned to work out to avoid putting on weight.

Dhara Patel, a third-year pharmacy student, said she wanted to go to the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center at least three times a week this year.

Nate Hutchings, a first-year student, plans to integrate exercise into daily life by walking around campus as much as he can this year.

Zippel also noted some of the resources students have at their disposal.
The Thomson Student Health Center offers free consultations with a professional dietician. In the Grand Market Place, "Healthy Carolina" stickers adorn the nutritional options.

Hutchings said he hopes to use those resources to his advantage, but for him and other first-year students, the challenge of avoiding the freshman 15 is just beginning.