Alabama opens season with top-10 matchup

No. 8 Michigan vs. No. 2 Alabama Saturday, Sept. 1, 8 p.m., ABC

Read More

The Crimson Tide will begin the quest to defend its national title against the Wolverines on Saturday night. Michigan’s quarterback, senior Denard Robinson, led his team to a 10-2 regular season and a bowl win over Virginia Tech, totaling 2,173 passing yards on the season. Alabama’s secondary, led by senior defensive back Robert Lester, will look to contaain Robinson and the Michigan offense. Starting quarterback AJ McCarron returns for his junior season after starting every game for the Tide last season, but the team will miss leading receivers Marquis Maze and Brad Smelley, as well as running back Trent Richardson, who was drafted by the Cleveland Browns.

Tennessee vs. NC State Friday, Aug. 31, 7:30 p.m.

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley is on the hot seat after the Volunteers stumbled to a 5-7 record in 2011, capped by a 10-7 loss to Kentucky in the season’s final game. This year has brought no relief, as Da’Rick Rogers, the leading receiver in the SEC in 2011, was suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules and transferred to Tennessee Tech. Junior quarterback Tyler Bray struggled with injuries last year and had off-the-field issues in the offseason, but the Volunteers will rely on him if they are to make any improvement this year.

Buffalo @ No. 6 Georgia Saturday, Sept. 1, noon

After losing two games to start the 2011 season, Georgia rallied to win 10 straight to take the SEC East, falling to LSU in the conference championship. But with arguably the conference’s best quarterback in junior Aaron Murray, Georgia is poised to repeat and possibly exceed that run. Murray set a school record with 35 touchdowns last season, and Georgia returns its leading receiver, senior Tavarres King. But the Bulldogs will have a huge hole to fill with the transfer of running back Isaiah Crowell, who led the team in rushing yards last season with 850.

Bowling Green @ No. 23 Florida Saturday, Sept. 1, 3:30 p.m., ESPN

The Gators will use a two-quarterback system in their season opener, giving both Jacoby Brissett and Jeff Driskel the opportunity to play after they backed up John Brantley last year. Both sophomores finished last year with an unimpressive stat line, combining for just two touchdowns but six interceptions. Florida will count on production from its young players, including freshman defensive lineman Jon Bullard and freshman defensive back Brian Poole, to improve its 7-6 record from 2011.

Kentucky @ No. 25 Louisville Sunday, Sept. 2, 3:30 p.m.

Kentucky started 2011 with two wins before losing to the Cardinals 24-17 in Week 3, the first of four consecutive losses. The Wildcats went on to finish 5-7. Sophomore running back Josh Clemons is still recovering from a knee injury he sustained against South Carolina last year, so he will not be available for the Kentucky’s season opener. But even without him, coach Joker Phillips is confident in his team’s depth at the tailback position.

Southeastern Louisiana @ Missouri, Saturday, Sept. 1, 7 p.m.

Missouri enters this season with a host of challenges, including five new starting offensive linemen. The Tigers have also lost tailback Henry Josey for the season due to a knee injury. As a sophomore in 2011, Josey averaged 117 rushing yards per game. Missouri will look to redshirt sophomore Marcus Murphy, who missed all of last season with a shoulder injury but was named Most Improved Tailback this spring, to step up in Josey’s place.

North Texas @ No. 3 LSU Friday, Sept. 1, 7 p.m., ESPNU

After a disappointing loss to Alabama in the national championship, LSU will take the first step toward defending its SEC title when it hosts North Texas. Starting quarterback Zach Mettenberger has never made a start for the Tigers, and the junior competed in just five games last season. But coach Les Miles said the receiving corps is “much improved,” with junior James Wright, junior Kadron Boone and senior Russell Shepard ready to take on major roles.

Jacksonville State @ No. 10 Arkansas Saturday, Sept. 1, 7 p.m.

Coach John L. Smith takes over an Arkansas team that lost coach Bobby Petrino in the wake of an offseason scandal. Redshirt senior Tyler Wilson begins his second season as a starter after leading Arkansas to 11 wins last season and being named to the All-SEC First Team by coaches and the AP. Wilson led all SEC quarterbacks in passing yards, but the Razorbacks will miss last year’s leading receiver, Jarius Wright, who was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings.

Texas A&M @ Louisiana Tech Thursday, Aug. 30, 7:30 p.m.

The Aggies open their season on the road against Louisiana Tech before hosting the Florida Gators in their first conference game as members of the SEC. Texas A&M comes off a 7-6 season in the Big 12. Coach Kevin Sumlin called the offensive line the strength of his program, which should help freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel as he adjusts to a new level of play. Sumlin said the defensive line was a work in progress, and the unit may have its hands full against Louisiana Tech, last year’s Western Athletic Conference champion, and its senior quarterback, Colby Cameron.

No. 14 Clemson vs. Auburn Saturday, Sept. 1, 7 p.m., ESPN

Clemson won the ACC last season but finished the year on a low note, with a 70-33 rout at the hands of West Virginia in the Orange Bowl. Junior quarterback Tajh Boyd returns to lead the offense, which also relies heavily on senior running back Andre Ellington. Auburn’s offense will take a new direction this season, with sophomore Kiehl Frazier named the starting quarterback in place of the incumbent Clint Moseley. Clemson defeated Auburn 38-24 last season, ending the 2010 national champion’s 17-game win streak.

Jackson State @ Mississippi State, Saturday, Sept. 1, 7 p.m.

The Bulldogs’ 6-6 record in the regular season last year was enough to earn them a second straight bowl appearance. Mississippi State won just two SEC games in 2011 but has 11 consecutive nonconference wins. Junior Tyler Russell will take over the starting quarterback job after starting four games in his first two seasons, but Mississippi State returns its top two receivers in Arceto Clark and Chad Bumphis. The Bulldogs will miss leading rusher Vick Ballard, who was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts after running for 1,189 yards last season.

Central Arkansas @ Ole Miss Saturday, Sept. 1, 7 p.m.

The Rebels dropped seven consecutive games to end 2011 with a 2-10 record. Coach Hugh Freeze, who begins his first year at Ole Miss after a successful run at Arkansas State, faces a lot of uncertainty with his new team. There is no clear frontrunner at the quarterback position, and sophomore defensive back Cody Prewitt may have lingering effects from a high ankle sprain he suffered during the spring. Freeze called sophomore defensive end C.J. Johnson the best player on the team, and the Rebels will rely on him to lead the defensive line.