In Brief: January 25, 2013

Michelin announces expansion of SC plant

Michelin North America Inc. is expanding its manufacturing base in South Carolina, the company announced Thursday.

The company will spend $200 million and add 100 jobs to its Anderson County rubber production plant, according to the Associated Press.

South Carolina will provide Michelin with $1.5 million in incentives for the expansion of the Starr, S.C. plant, the trade newspaper Tire Business reported.

The expansion adds to recent growth in South Carolina tire manufacturing. In 2011, Bridgestone Corp. and Continental Tire announced that they’d build factories in the state, and Michelin has grown its factories in recent years.

The mix of announcements led The Wall Street Journal to speculate last year that South Carolina would overtake Oklahoma as “the tire-making capital of the U.S.”

—Thad Moore, News Editor

Fight for blanket takes turn for worse

Sometimes, hogging the blanket goes terribly wrong.

A Myrtle Beach woman was charged with domestic violence after she allegedly choked her companion and drew blood from his neck, The (Myrtle Beach) Sun News reported. 

She’d gotten angry after he tried to pull more of the covers to his side.

The suspect, Tina Berryhill Rucker, 42, didn’t cooperate with police when they were called around 11 p.m., and she was intoxicated, The Sun News reported.

Thursday afternoon, Rucker was being detained without bond, the Associated Press reported.

—Thad Moore, News Editor

Banks form network to spot fraud after hacking 

South Carolina banks are banding together to create a network to identify fraud after the state’s Department of Revenue was hacked last year, according to the Associated Press.

In all, 3.3 million bank account numbers from 3.8 million residents were included in the data in what’s thought to be the biggest hacking of a state agency in U.S. history. Of those, 1.1 million accounts are still active in South Carolina, the AP reported.

The network should be working by the end of the month, Fred Green, the CEO of the South Carolina Bankers Association, told legislators Thursday.

Last month, South Carolina banks and credit unions were given the list of account numbers so that they could spot potential fraud and create such a network, according to the AP. If a bank gets word of fraud or suspects it, they’ll be able to notify other institutions in the state.

—Thad Moore, News Editor