In Brief: February 11, 2013

Meth incidents increasing in SC despite restrictions

The number of methamphetamine-related incidents in South Carolina has skyrocketed in the past few years.

The State Law Enforcement Division reported 538 such incidents in 2012 — four times more than were reported in 2010 — according to The State.

Six years ago, South Carolina started requiring people to have an identification to buy pseudoephedrine, an ingredient in meth that’s found in over-the-counter medicines like Sudafed. Two years ago, it limited how much people can buy.

Meth cooks no longer need buildings to manufacture the drug; instead, they can make it in soda bottles and stay mobile, The State reported. It also lets them get it into heavily populated areas more easily.

That’s led some experts to think that making pseudoephedrine a prescription drug might be the best way to reduce the presence of meth in the state.

—Thad Moore, News Editor

State cuts Winthrop’s spending following audit

The state Budget and Control Board will reduce Winthrop University’s spending powers for a year because an audit found a number of issues.

Winthrop spent $4.5 million on a computing system and took over an apartment complex built by a private university foundation without taking bids as required by law, The (Rock Hill) Herald reported. The audit covered 2007 through 2010.

A spokeswoman told the newspaper that Winthrop is concerned the penalties will create more red tape for the university and that it may appeal the decision.

Under the decision, Winthrop will be allowed to spend up to $100,000 for consultants, supplies and services without state approval, down from $200,000. It can spend up to $25,000 on information technology on its own, also down from $200,000, according to The Herald.

State-funded colleges and universities are audited every three years.

—Thad Moore, News Editor

Graham promises to delay key nominations

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham promised Sunday to delay White House nominations until he hears more about an attack in Benghazi, Libya.

Speaking on CBS’ “Face the Nation,” Graham, R-S.C., said he would block President Barack Obama’s nominations of Chuck Hagel for secretary of defense and John Brennan for CIA director until the White House releases more information about the Sept. 11, 2012, attacks.

“No confirmation without information,” Graham said, according to Politico.

Graham has long been a critic of the Obama administration for its handling of the attacks, according to the Associated Press; the administration accused him of “playing politics” with the nominations.

Four Americans, including the United States’ ambassador to Libya, died in the attack.

—Thad Moore, News Editor