In Brief: February 28, 2013

Sophomore killed in CCU shooting Tuesday

A Coastal Carolina University sophomore was killed Tuesday evening in a shooting near campus.

Anthony Darnell Liddell, 19, of Bennettsville, died after being shot at University Place residence hall, The State reported.

The campus was placed on lockdown as police searched for the shooter Tuesday night, who had not yet been found as of Wednesday evening.

Students were alerted via text message and email that a shooter was on campus and that students were to remain where they were. Residence halls remained on lockdown through the night.

Classes were held as usual Wednesday, as police determined there was no apparent threat to students, faculty or staff, The State said.

—Sarah Ellis, Assistant News Editor

Girl Scout cookies stolen from SC warehouse

Like stealing candy from babies? How about cookies from Girl Scouts?

More than 5,000 boxes of Thin Mints and Shortbread cookies worth nearly $19,000 were stolen sometime this week from a Spartanburg warehouse, the Associated Press reports.

The cookies were being kept at Carey Moving and Storage before they were to be sold at cookie booths in 22 counties across South Carolina, AP said.

Storage company owner Brian Carey, who has helped store Girl Scouts’ cookies for more than 40 years, told AP that the theft breaks his heart and he will help any Girl Scout troop affected by the loss by ordering more cookies if needed.

There are no suspects at the time.

—Sarah Ellis, Assistant News Editor

Hall of Famer Aaron to throw Blowfish’s first pitch

Neither the Gamecocks nor the Blowfish will be the biggest baseball stars in Columbia for one night this spring.

Hall of Famer Hank Aaron will throw the ceremonial first pitch for the Columbia Blowfish Baseball Club at its home opener Wednesday, May 29, at Capital City Park, the team announced Monday.

Aaron’s first minor league baseball game was at Columbia’s Historic Capital City Park, when the then–19-year-old was a member of the Jacksonville Braves facing the Columbia Reds.

The right fielder and first baseman played 23 years in the major leagues for the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves, tallying 755 career home runs, which puts him second on the all-time list behind Barry Bonds.

Aaron was elected into the Hall of Fame in 1982, six years after his retirement.

­—Sarah Ellis, Assistant News Editor