In Brief: April 15, 2013

Columbia sees first murder of year Sunday

Columbia police responded to their first murder of 2013 early Sunday morning.

According to a release, Clifton DeAaron Dreher, 17, is wanted for the murder of 23-year-old Quamain Cambrice-Lewis who was standing on a porch on the 1800 block of Tremain Street around 2 a.m. Sunday. The incident happened after a “verbal altercation” in the house.

Police have found a car involved in the shooting, but they’re still looking for Dreher, who will be charged with murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime. He is considered armed and dangerous.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact Crimestoppers.

— Thad Moore, News Editor

Many would-be trustees connected to legislature

A big proportion of the candidates for trustee positions at South Carolina colleges have ties to the state legislature, which appoints them.

Of the 70 people vying for 52 seats on boards, a dozen or so are connected to legislators or served in the Statehouse, The Post and Courier reported.

State law doesn’t set many rules or criteria for trustees. The only one: The Citadel’s board members have to be graduates.

And while the jobs don’t pay well, save for a $35 per diem and various other perks (e.g. football tickets for USC trustees), The Post and Courier reported that they can launch political careers and carry social clout.

— Thad Moore, News Editor

Proposed state bills split on gun regulations

A handful of bills in the state legislature could change how tightly South Carolina regulates guns, and one could drop handgun restrictions outright.

Both the House and Senate have proposed bills that would keep people declared mentally ill in court from buying guns, The State reported.

But others aim to loosen gun rules, including one sponsored by state Sen. Lee Bright, R-Spartanburg, that would drop requirements for concealed carry permits. People wouldn’t need permits at all.

Last month, South Carolina was ranked No. 6 in the U.S. for overall gun violence and No. 26 for its gun laws’ stringency, according to The State.

— Thad Moore, News Editor