In Brief: July 24, 2013

Former treasurer charged with DWI

Former South Carolina Treasurer Thomas Ravenel was arrested for drunk driving in the Hamptons Monday, the Associated Press reported.
The multimillionaire politician who resigned as treasurer six months into his term after pleading guilty to cocaine charges was arrested around 2:30 a.m. after crossing a double yellow line and driving on the shoulder of the Montauk Highway near East Hampton Village, N.Y.
Ravenel said in a statement that he was not drunk, though he admitted to drinking that night. The police report said he smelled of alcohol and was unsteady on his feet.
Ravenel served 10 months in jail after leaving the treasurer’s office and has been mentioned as a potential primary opponent to U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., in 2014. He supported Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, in the 2012 presidential race due to the candidate’s stance against the government’s “war on drugs.”

— Amanda Coyne, Editor-in-Chief

Sumter superintendent steps down after problems

Sumter School District’s superintendent has stepped down, WIS reports.
Randolph D. Bynum, Sr. asked the district’s board of trustees to release him from day-to-day responsibilities hours after parents and staff addressed the board with concerns and the board failed to make a decision on Bynum’s future. Some audience members vocally objected to the adjournment, saying Bynum’s end as the system’s head was inevitable.
The board is scheduled to determine Bynum’s replacement at a meeting on or before Aug. 30. Until then, Bynum will continue in his post.
The school district has seen ongoing issues, including a copyright dispute over the high school’s “SWEET 16” program and a South Carolina Law Enforcement Division criminal investigation into the high school’s exit testing. Droves of teachers have left the school system and Sumter High School alone has lost 40 faculty members.

— Amanda Coyne, Editor-in-Chief

Upstate coach accused of assault, out on bail

A Spartanburg basketball coach accused of sexually assaulting a student was released from the Spartanburg County jail on a $50,000 bond Tuesday, the Spartanburg Herald-Journal reported.
Anthony Bernard Jenkins, 50, a private coach in the Upstate and a former Clemson University player, is facing a charge of second-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor. He played professional basketball in Europe and students came from around the world for his coaching.
The victim told detectives from the Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Office she was assaulted by Jenkins on a regular basis between the ages of 14 and 18 while she took basketball lessons from him. The assaults took place at Jenkins’ home and a Spartanburg YMCA, among other locations, the victim told detectives.
Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright told the Spartanburg Herald-Journal he believes there may be more victims, who he encouraged to come forward.

­­— Amanda Coyne, Editor-in-Chief