Behind enemy lines

1. What was the reaction around Athens when Clemson beat Georgia? And how quickly did the focus turn toward making sure that wouldn’t happen again against South Carolina this weekend?

The focus on South Carolina began immediately after the final whistle. Many fans are viewing this as a make-or-break game. That may be a stretch considering Georgia still won the SEC East after losing to South Carolina each of the last two seasons. Still, there is sense of urgency around the program. Two losses to two rivals to start the season would destroy morale among the fans.

2. With the amount of success the Clemson defensive line had against the Bulldog offensive line last week, how much concern is there with controlling Jadeveon Clowney? With that being said, what do the Georgia coaches think about Clowney’s sub-par performance against the Tar Heels?

Many people expected the offensive line to be a strength of the team, but after allowing three sacks against Clemson, that no longer seems to be the case. Everyone understands that Clowney is a different beast than what Georgia faced against Clemson. The coaches shrugged off his performance against UNC as being an early season, hot game in which Clowney got gassed, like most defensive linemen would. They will be preparing for him like he’s the best end in the country, which he is.

*3. After last season’s 35-7 loss in Columbia and three straight losses to the Gamecocks overall, how important is it for Aaron Murray and the Bulldogs to defeat South Carolina on Saturday?
*
It’s huge for Murray’s legacy. He has put up big numbers in his career, but struggled in big games. The USC games the past three seasons, and the game this season, have all been huge games. It’s something he needs to win to change the perception of him. Starting 0-1 in the SEC would also be difficult to recover from with LSU and Florida still on the schedule. Georgia has done it before, but it’s doubtful they can keep it up.

4. What was your impression of the UGA defense last week, and how do you think it will hold up against the more traditional South Carolina offense?

The defense didn’t perform as badly as some expected. Damian Swann, who was expected to be Georgia’s top corner, got trucked on Sammy Watkin’s 77-yard touchdown reception. Expectations for him were lowered following his poor showing. In general, though, the defense played well considering its youth, the offense it played and the environment played in. The defense will be young and inexperienced all season, but Georgia has talented players littering the defensive side of the ball. Once the experience catches up with the talent, and some of the injured players heal, this defense could be a force to be reckoned with. The biggest concern will be stopping Connor Shaw on zone-reads and quarterback draws.

5. How much do you think the return of Josh Harvey-Clemons will help the Georgia defense?

It should be significant. Three of Georgia’s safeties against Clemson were newcomers. Connor Norman,a former walk-on, has the most experience, but he is simply not as talented as most of his teammates. Harvey-Clemons brings some talent and experience. One safety to look for is junior Corey Moore. He is Georgia’s second-best safety behind Harvey-Clemons. He was injured against Clemson but will be back this week. The combination of these two should change the talent level of Georgia’s defensive backfield exponentially.

Prediction time:
27-24, UGA

I think home-field advantage will work in Georgia’s favor. The defense won’t be as rattled as they were against a hostile Clemson crowd, and the offense will be able to communicate, unlike at Clemson. Todd Gurley will get a hefty amount of carries, and a focus on him will diminish Clowney’s ability to affect Georgia’s passing game. Georgia will be able to render Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds largely ineffective, but Connor will have a big day on the ground.