In Brief: September 18, 2013

Officers who struck inmate will not face charges

The two officers who injured an inmate at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention last week will not face disciplinary actions.

A 23-year-old inmate received stitches after suffering a busted lip Thursday when two officers struck him as they moved him to another cell, according to Sgt. Curtis Wilson of the Richland County Sheriff’s Department.

According to Wilson, the sheriff’s department has been interviewing both Roberts and the officers for several days and said that the sergeant and the captain in question handled the situation properly.

It is possible that the inmate, Gregory Roberts, could face charges after the altercation. He is being held on burglary, robbery and assault charges.

Lexington men to face additional theft charges

Two Lexington men will face additional charges after being arrested for receiving stolen goods, according to The State.

Charles Heyward Spires Jr., of Boiling Springs Lane, and Travis Leon Horton, of Bluefield Road, were arrested after being found with a Craftsman riding lawnmower, a 9-mm Diamondback handgun and a license plate from a motorcycle.

Detectives were using a search warrant when they found the stolen items at Horton’s home.

Horton was being held on charges include operating a meth lab from his home, and possession of heroin and marijuana. He has also been charged with unlawfully possessing four handguns and a prescription painkiller.

Spires was charged on Sept. 7 after being found with four stolen fishing boats and trailers, three guitars and a flat-screen TV.

Group speaks out against strong-mayor referendum

A group of Columbia residents called on City Council to delay the strong-mayor referendum from Nov. 5 to Dec. 3, The State reported.

At a Tuesday afternoon news conference, a group of about 40 people argued that a vote on whether Columbia should have a strong-mayor system should be separate from the Nov. 5 mayoral election.

Howard Duvall, the spokesman of the so-called “dinner table” group, said that if people are going to be deciding on the future of the city, they should know exactly what they’re doing.

“Let’s make sure the process of change does not taint the outcome,” Duvall said.

The group emphasized that they felt too many unanswered questions remain regarding the power the mayor would hold in the new system.

Duvall also said that the costly special election would be worth it if the electorate is informed about the vote.