In Brief: Sept. 30, 2013

Battery to undergo $2.7 million renovation

The Charleston Battery is getting a $2.7 million facelift, the Associated Press reported.

Work will begin on the historic seaside walkway next month. The construction will restore a section of the promenade and Battery seawall that date back to 1919. Further renovations will follow in the future.

During the past 10 years, $200 million in projects have been completed or begun in Charleston, which draws 4 million visitors each year.

The section of the Battery currently planned for construction is part of the Low Battery. That section runs a mile up the Ashley River side of the Charleston peninsula and is nearly 100 years old. Reconstruction will take place in sections so most of the Battery seawall will remain open to pedestrians.

Anderson County town sees spike in crime

A small Anderson County town has seen a 50 percent jump in crime in the past year, the Associated Press reported.

Townville, S.C. has seen 45 burglaries, four armed robberies and a home invasion in the past six months. Anderson County deputies have increased patrols in the town of just under 4,000.

Some businesses have been targeted by criminals more than once, like Caribbean Storage. The store has had $23,000 in items stolen. Caribbean Car Wash has been hit three times.

Anderson County Sheriff John Skipper has urged Townville residents to lock windows and doors and call authorities if they see anything suspicious, even if it seems minor.

One neighborhood considered putting up a gate, but decided against it after learning the roads would no longer be maintained by the county.

Tractor-trailer full of pigs flips in Greenwood

Officers were rounding up pigs in Greenwood County early Sunday, FOX Carolina reported.

A tractor-tailor carrying the swine overturned around 2 a.m. Between 175 and 200 hogs went running, according to witnesses. Some sat on the side of the road eating grass. Others are still unaccounted for and some were killed in the crash.

Animal control officers were enlisted to gather the pigs. Some officers rode horses in the effort to get all the animals.

By 6:30 a.m., most of the pigs had been loaded onto two trailers. Some hogs had wandered into the woods, and search teams continued to try and round them up.

The truck was headed to the Carolina Pride plant in Greenwood. The driver was driving too fast and veered into a median, hitting a car and tipping over the truck.