In Brief: October 2, 2013

Mega Millions makes changes to increase jackpot value

The multi-state Mega Millions lottery will be making changes starting this month in hopes of building up larger jackpots, according to The State.

Mega Millions lottery tickets are sold in 43 states nationwide, including South Carolina.

Changes will include decreasing the number of Megaballs from 46 to 15, as these trigger the most prizes; the other white balls in the drawing will increase from 56 to 75.

In order to raise the value of Mega Millions jackpots, the odds of winning the jackpot will decrease from 1 in 176 million to 1 in 259 million. Odds of winning the next-biggest prize will decrease from 1 in 3.9 million to 1 in 18.4 million.

Haley office assists constituents with health care concerns

Gov. Nikki Haley said that the first day to enroll in health insurance through the federal government was a mess, The Associated Press reported.

Though she is an avid protester of the Affordable Care Act, often referred to as Obamacare, Haley said that her office is trying to help people who are calling with questions about signing up.

Haley said that even though she fought against the Affordable Care Act, it has been enacted into law, so people need to understand the process.

South Carolina, along with 35 other states, has opted to not run its own health care exchange, which leaves the responsibility with the federal government.

Bears found in South Carolina to be released back into wild

After being found in the South Carolina mountains last winter, three bear cubs are going to be returned to the wild this fall, according to The Associated Press.

The three bear cubs have been housed at the Appalachian Bear Rescue nonprofit facility over the past few months, according to spokeswoman Dana Dodd.

One of the cubs had been treated for a couple of weeks at the Animal Forest at the Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site in Charleston after being found in March.

Each cub now weighs about 70 pounds.

Dodd said that the bears will likely be released in November by the state Department of Natural Resources, after the Upstateā€™s two-week bear hunting season.