In Brief: October 25, 2013

Police identify 140 gang members for eviction

At least 140 gang members could be targeted for eviction from as many as six Columbia neighborhoods and Five Points, The State reported.

Columbia police have identified the pool of gang members, which is a key early step to cracking down on gang violence through civil gang injunctions, which Mayor Steve Benjamin has proposed.

The injunctions would be essentially restraining orders to protect defined areas from potential gang violence.

If City Council adopts the injunction policy, Benjamin will ask the city for money to hire more attorneys and more gang investigators, according to The State.

The city is also considering whether to use nuisance laws to declare some locations — such as bars that have become gang hangouts — off-limits to gang members.

— Sarah Ellis, Assistant News Editor

USC student sought in WVU car-flipping

The West Virginia University Police Department has issued a warrant for the arrest of an 18-year-old USC student, according to Maj. Robert Levelle, the department’s spokesman.

William Schwab, a first-year political science student, is being sought by WVU police after a silver Volkswagen was flipped on its side after the Mountaineers beat Oklahoma State on Sept. 28. Schwab will be charged with felony destruction of property and could face 10 years in prison, a $2,500 fine or both.

Shortly before midnight Sept. 28, several people were seen flipping the car in a campus parking lot. Multiple videos of the incident were taken and posted on the Internet.

USC’s Division of Law Enforcement and Safety interviewed Schwab after he was identified by an anonymous tipster. Schwab told police he had been at a party until it was busted around 11:30 p.m., after which he saw Kevin Wheeler, an 18-year-old WVU student with whom he was staying and who has been charged. Police say Schwab admitted to watching the car being flipped.

— Amanda Coyne, News Editor

Bush contributes $5,000 to Graham campaign

Of the nearly $1.2 million raised by U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., between July and September, $5,000 came from former U.S. President George W. Bush, The State reported.

“I am extremely grateful and honored to have President George W. Bush’s support. With every passing day, Americans appreciate more and more President Bush’s clarity on the War on Terror and his strong support of the private sector,” Graham said in a statement. “President and Mrs. Bush are tremendously respected and admired by South Carolina Republicans. South Carolina is — and always will be — Bush Country.”

With nearly $7 million on hand for campaign spending, Graham is quickly outpacing his three announced challengers for June’s GOP primary. The three combined have less than $500,000 to spend, according to The State.

— Sarah Ellis, Assistant News Editor