In Brief: October 8, 2013

Colgate-Palmolive plant to bring 300 jobs

Western South Carolina will see 300 new jobs with a nearly $200 million investment by Colgate-Palmolive Co. in a new production facility expected to open next year, The Associated Press reported.

The plant will be established in an existing 525,000-square-foot building in Greenwood County. It will produce liquid hand soap for the company’s Softsoap brand and deodorant for its Mennen Speed Stick brand.

“Manufacturing continues to be a real wealth creator in our state, and today’s announcement provides another boost to South Carolina’s manufacturing sector,” said Bobby Hitt, the state’s secretary of commerce, according to AP.

This is Colgate-Palmolive’s first plant in the state, according to AP. The company sells its products in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.

4 SC motorists killed in deer crashes this year

A retired pharmacist from Texas who was riding on the back of her husband’s motorcycle died Sunday after a deer collided with the motorcycle on U.S. 501 between Aynor and Galivants Ferry, The State reported.

Merry Davis, 64, became the fourth South Carolina motorist this year to die because of a deer. Three people on motorcycles and one in a car have died after crashing into a deer so far this year, according to The State. Last year, a total of six motorists died in South Carolina after their vehicles hit a deer.

Motorists are most likely to collide with deer between October and December, according to State Farm insurance studies. In 2012, South Carolina was ranked 18th in the country by State Farm for the highest likelihood of collision with deer.

Councilman goes to jail after not paying child support

After falling more than $15,000 behind in child support payments, a Lexington County town councilman will serve jail time for the second time since April.

Steve Cain, a member of the Batesburg-Leesville Town Council, will spend 45 days behind bars after failing to pay $15,796.53 in court-ordered support to the mothers of his two children, according to WIS. He has not made a child support payment for one of his children since May.

“It’s just been a bad — really a bad year for me,” Cain told Judge Robert Newton at his hearing Monday morning, WIS reported.

In April, Cain faced a 30-day sentence for failing to pay more than $15,000 in support for his two children, but was released after paying $1,500 toward what he owed, according to WIS.