It's the time of year for brats and beer

Annual Oktoberfest offers German traditions

For months now, the members of Columbia’s Incarnation Lutheran Church on Devine Street have been planning, working together and most importantly, cooking. This preparation wasn’t just for an everyday church bake sale, either. This lengthy process was for their third annual Oktoberfest, a collection of German food, music, dancing and culture packed into the three-day event.
Volunteers of all ages, including the majority of church members, spent their weekend entertaining the hundreds of guests that showed up to get a taste of Germany. The sounds of the Die Lustigen Musikanten and the German Connection Band played throughout the grounds as vendors sold their handmade goods and artistic creations.

On the menu was a wide array of homemade goods like Schnitzel (a breaded fried pork), bratwursts, spaetzle (a German noodle), cabbage and potatoes.

Volunteer and church member Dr. Susan McArver said that the numerous pastries that were sold out by Sunday night had been a work in progress since August. McArver and other of the church members gathered most weekends to prepare the Engelsaugen (jam cookies), Vanillekipferl (almond cookies) and Apfelkuchen (German apple cake). She was most impressed by the joint effort by all members to contribute to the event.

“It’s been a whole church activity,” McArver said. “I don’t think there’s been one member of the church that hasn’t done something for this.”

“We’ve got some great young kids too that have worked tirelessly the whole weekend,” said volunteer and church member Mary Kehl.

Volunteers also worked to serve one of the most important German staples: beer. The festival had 16 beers on tap ranging from stouts, ales, Oktoberfest brews and pumpkin porters served in traditional German beer glasses to thirsty patrons.

“It’s been really nice,” said first-time beer table volunteer Taylor Glazier. “No one’s been too out of control or anything.”

The event kept a steady crowd all weekend and attracted adults, kids and even those with no German background, offering a little piece of Germany right here in Columbia.