Greenville music trio mixes pop, reggae

Sun Brother creates original indie songs for SC audiences.

It’s tough to nail down Sun Brother’s sound. Just ask indie music blogger Wordkrapht.

“It’s almost reggae, it’s almost indie, it’s almost mainstream,” Wordkrapht writes.
Sun Brother, an up-and-coming indie, rock-pop band out of Greenville, are bringing a new sound to South Carolina.

Made up of Zebraylon Deonte’ Woodruff on vocals and guitar, Joel Walter on bass and Sheldon Bird on drums, the band has played in a wide range of Greenville venues, from The Handlebar to the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.

The band’s biggest accomplishment is recording their single, “Pure Intentions,” with Jesse Clasen from the band HRVRD, Woodruff said.

“Think of us as a band, doing something different than other bands around us. We aren’t a jam band covering the Grateful Dead,” Woodruff said. “Artists don’t care. Art isn’t competition.”

Sun Brother writes their own music, referring to the process as The Machine.

“Usually a song starts as a chord progression; sometimes it’s idea in my head. We let our songs breathe and grow,” Woodruff said. “We make the skeleton, then flesh out the rest of the song.”

After opening for the band Signs of Irish and Baby Baby in Greenville at the Radio Room on Dec. 21, the band is going back to their house, which they call “The Cave,” to write.

“We have to keep an eye out for each other,” Woodruff said.
Sun Brother describe their sound as independent, indie pop, but far from mainstream.

“We want to reach everybody at the same time,” Woodruff said.

Hear Sun Brother’s song “Howl at the Moon” at soundcloud.com/the-sun-brothers-band, and listen to them today on WUSC 90.5 FM at 4 p.m.