In Brief: Dec. 2, 2013

15.7% of SC kids diagnosed with ADHD

South Carolina is among the states with the highest attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder diagnosis rates, The State reported.

A study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry found that 15.7 percent of South Carolina children between the ages of 4 and 17 had been diagnosed with ADHD at some point in their lives. That rate is close to the national rate of 11 percent, representing 6.4 million children. Nationally, that’s an increase of 2 million.

South Carolina is tied for fourth place. Kentucky has the highest diagnosis rate, with 18.7 percent of children being diagnosed with ADHD at some point in their lives.

There is a “strong link” between ADHD and poverty, according to the report. There is also a lower rate of ADHD among Latino populations, so states with fewer Latinos may have higher diagnosis rates.

Midlands public school enrollment up this year

Enrollment in Midlands public schools is up slightly this year, The State reported.

About 900 more students attended schools in Lexington, Kershaw and Richland counties, with Lexington County School District 1 seeing the most growth. The district’s enrollment was 23,615 this fall, up by 675 students.

Other Lexington districts saw a drop in enrollment. Lexington County School Districts 2, 3 and 4 all decreased. Lexington Districts 3 and 4 had decreases of only 29 and 39 students, respectively, but Lexington District 2 dropped by 156 students.

All three school districts in Richland County saw increases in enrollment, the largest of which was in Richland County School District 2, with 189 more students. Richland County School District 1 saw enrollment increase by 173 more students, while only 25 more attended Lexington-Richland School District 5.

Haley supports strong mayor for Columbia

Gov. Nikki Haley came out in support of Columbia’s strong mayor referendum Saturday, The State reported.

The governor discussed the issue with Mayor Steve Benjamin before making her decision. A mailer was sent to Columbia residents encouraging them to vote “yes” on the referendum late last week.

The mailer said the strong mayor system would not give too much power to the city’s highest elected official and that the current system of governance is “clearly flawed.” The referendum would also help increase accountability in the Columbia Police Department, the mailer read.

Major state players from both sides of the aisle have come out in support of the Tuesday referendum. Former Attorney General Henry McMaster, a Republican like Haley, and former Gov. Jim Hodges, a Democrat, both support a strong mayor system of government.