In Brief: Feb. 4

Local high school commemorates former teacher
Blythewood High School students, faculty and staff will host a “Chef Day” this Friday to commemorate former teacher William Turner, who passed away on Feb. 1 after battling colon cancer for several years, The State reported.
Turner founded Blythewood’s culinary program when the school opened its doors in 2005, and made it one of the top programs in the state and in the nation. He earned the nickname “The Chef” after leading the school to a top five finish at the State Culinary Competition five times and to a win at the state championship in 2010. Blythewood also earned a 14th-place finish nationally that same year.
“Chef has made an undeniable difference in his students’ lives, and his dedication to this school and our community is something that we absolutely want to celebrate,” said Fletcher Spigner, Blythewood High School student activities director, when Turner retired in 2012 due to health reasons. “Chef teaches culinary skills to his students every day but what they learn is responsibility, dedication, hard work and character.”

Man pleads guilty to murder of officer
Joshua Jones pleaded guilty on Feb. 3 to murdering an Aiken Public Safety officer in 2012, WIS reported.
Jones was sentenced to life without parole for the shooting death of Cpl. Sandra Rogers.
Jones is also charged with murder in the shooting death of Cayce Vice, his pregnant girlfriend at the time of her death. Authorities say Jones killed Vice in Richmond County and then killed Rogers in Aiken County.
He has been diagnosed with schizophrenia by his psychologist as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head that occurred six months before the death of Rogers.
Jones will be sentenced to a maximum security prison with a mental health facility. He pleaded “guilty but mentally ill” to the charges of murder, possession of a weapon during a violent crime, unlawful carry of a pistol and petty larceny, Aiken County Solicitor J. Strom Thurmond said.

Vista crime statistics brought to forefront
Some Five Points merchants have recently voiced complaints that media outlets unfairly report and exaggerate the proportion of crime in their district, The State reported. One merchant has even gone far enough to create signs, which are posted in several Five Points business, asking about a “news blackout” in other areas.
“All I wanted was a level playing field,” Jeff Helmsley, the owner of the Devine Street bar and restaurant Goat Feathers, said. Helmsley claims that the attention on violence in Five Points is destroying his business. “The Vista seems to be getting a free pass. I’m calling out the media.”
According to information from a four-year crime analysis by the Columbia Police Department, violent crime decreased steadily in Five Points between 2010 and 2013. Meanwhile, violent crime rose slightly in the Vista over the same time period.
Five Points has had a higher overall crime rate on average over the last four years, but the Vista has a higher number of property crimes due to a higher prevalence of auto break-ins.