In Brief: February 19, 2014

Arts funding to remain steady despite stadium construction

Mayor Steve Benjamin announced Tuesday that Columbia’s arts community should not worry that a publicly funded baseball stadium would cut into taxpayer money for cultural organizations, The State reported.
Those organizations say they are worried that they would receive less money if the city approves a $24 million-to-$30 million loan for the stadium that would be paid off with meal taxes. Benjamin assured the crowd that he would not support any reduction in funding and that a “supermajority” of council members agree with him.
Jennifer Suber of the Devine Street Association asked for a face-to-face meeting with the mayor and said that merchants have “strong opinions” about the construction of a ballpark.
Benjamin then warned her against finding misinformation about the project on the Internet.

Pet shelter to raise fees, become no-kill

The city animal shelter announced to a city committee on Tuesday morning that it will try to become a no-kill shelter and that it will increase fees for unsterilized pets, The State reported.
The shelter takes in about 11,000 cats and dogs each year, and 63 percent of the shelter’s pets are euthanized, said Marli Drum, superintendent of the city’s animal services.
To reach its no-kill goal, shelter officials are proposing a plan to double the fee for residents who own pets that are not spayed or neutered. The fee would be $50.
The shelter hopes to achieve a live release rate of 70 percent or greater, but Drum said it’s impossible to become 100 percent no-kill, because some animals are too injured, aggressive or sick.

Lexington teen charged with murder following stabbing death

A Lexington teen has been charged with murder following the death of a Dutch Fork High School student, The State reported.
Kierin Marcellus Dennis, 18, is charged with murder and possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a violent crime.
Da’Von Nathaniel Capers, 17, of Irmo, was stabbed Monday night after the Dutch Fork High School boys basketball team beat Lexington High School. Tensions were high at the game, and a Lexington High student held a sign that said “ThugFork.”
Students were escorted to their cars by police after the game, and officers ensured that the Dutch Fork and Lexington students left through different exits.
Lexington/Richland District 5 held a moment of silence for Capers before Tuesday’s Dutch Fork-North Augusta game.