In Brief: March 28, 2014

Students plan walk-out to protest Glenn McConnell

A group calling itself “Fight for C of C” is planning a “walk-out” for Friday, The Post and Courier reported.
The group is staging the protest because it disagrees with the Board of Trustees choosing Lt. Gov. Glenn McConnell as the College of Charleston’s next president.
Brandon Upson, the organizer of the “walk-out” and a local educator, said he is upset about how McConnell was chosen to be president, calling the decision unfair, tainted and a “pre-determined choice.”
The group is asking students, faculty and alumni to gather at the Cistern at 1:15 p.m. and for supporters to visit the website fightforcofc.com.
Other protests are also planned for the weekend, including a “teach-in” on Monday, where professors will offer lessons to the crowd on protest movements.

Amputee to debut personal documentary

Army Staff Sgt. Travis Mils, a quadruple amputee, will be showing a documentary in Columbia about his experience, The State reported.
“Travis: A Soldier’s Story” documents Mils’ story of being an amputee during a third tour of duty in Afghanistan. Working with the 82nd Airborne in 2012, he lost parts of both arms and legs because of an IED, or improvised explosive device. Of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, Mils is one of only five quadruple amputees to survive such injuries.
The documentary will be presented by the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary — Academy of Faith and Leadership on Friday, and Mils will answer questions after the showing.

McMaster enters lieutenant governor race

Former S.C. Attorney General Henry McMaster has officially filed to run for lieutenant governor, The State reported.
McMaster, 66, is joined by other Republicans in the race for the position, and is the third Republican candidate who is affiliated with Gov. Nikki Haley, having served on her transition team once she was elected.
McMaster served as state attorney general from 2003 to 2011 and as chairman of the S.C. Republican Party for eight years. He also ran for governor in 2010 but lost, at which point he accepted a co-chair position on Haley’s ethics reform task force.
Winthrop University political scientist Scott Huffmon said that McMaster’s filing will change the dynamics of the lieutenant governor race.