Leaner named 2014 Outstanding Woman of the Year

In a crowded showing at Harper College’s Gressette Room Wednesday, USC recognized Emily Learner as the 2014 Outstanding Woman of the Year.

Learner, a fourth-year exercise science student, was chosen from a large pool of applicants who either applied or had been nominated for the award. Alongside Learner at the presentation were the five other finalists, all of whom had endured an interview process in the hopes of being selected.

“I’m actually shocked that I won, especially alongside such great women,” Learner said. “I just tried to be myself and answer truthfully to the selection committees.”

The award recognizes a third- or fourth-year woman at USC who excels in academic achievement, campus involvement and community service, according to the Women’s Student Services website.

“This is really an incredible honor,” Learner said. “I’m just glad I have the opportunity to be a role model and to give back to the community.”

Learner was nominated for the award by her best friend — and fellow finalist — Leila Heidari, a fourth-year health student.

“I really thought she was going to win,” Learner said with a smile. “It was just especially great to win alongside my best friend like that.”

The presentation began with a keynote address by Lou Kennedy, a USC alumna who is now president and chief executive of Nephron Pharmaceuticals Corp. Kennedy is hoping to open the corporation’s first South Carolina plant within the week, and she praised decisiveness and drive in both women and men at USC.

“Just remember,” Kennedy said as she looked at the finalists. “I’m still hiring!”

The selection process consisted of a blind review of applications by a larger group of reviewers, before the pool was narrowed down to the six finalists.

“I was pretty much just given a giant wad of applications to review,” said Theresa Harrison, assistant principal of the Capstone Scholars program and a first round reviewer for the award. “We especially looked for stories about experience and leadership that would separate a good candidate.”

The next step was an interview process in front of a mix of selection committees and appointed interviewers.

Ashley Byrd-White, a leadership coach at the Leadership and Service Center, coordinated the committees that conducted the reviews.

“There’s absolutely a great pool of women in Carolina,” Byrd-White said. “Every single one that we reviewed was absolutely fantastic.”

Byrd-White said the award is meant to recognize a female student for her service, involvement and dedication both on and off campus.

“The outstanding woman award is very special here at USC,” Byrd-White said. “It’s wonderful to recognize women leaders here at Carolina, and it’s an especially nice way to recognize them as they move forward in their lives and careers.”