EcoReps help students be green while saving green

EcoReps partnered with USC’s Financial Literacy Program on Thursday to teach students how they can eat healthily and sustainably and save money at the same time.

The presentation covered an array of topics such as how to use coupons effectively, how to eat well on a meal plan and how to save money as part of Financial Literacy Week.

“We talked about how to eat healthy on the meal plan and how to use your swipes effectively, whether that be buying a bag of fruit for one swipe of going to Café Verde at night for fruit or a salad as opposed to going to Marble Slab,” said Megan Krystofik, a member of EcoReps.

They recommended spots on campus such as Plan-iT Healthy in the Russell House, where students can get a good bite to eat. Additionally, on the Carolina Dining website, students can find a daily nutrition calculator to help keep track of what they eat.

Sodexo has special labels for menu items that are healthy. They also recommend that you use meal swipes to stock up on fruit or other health snacks if you aren’t hungry.

The EcoReps discussed being aware of the costs of eating out, since going out to dinner can become very costly.

“Entrées are between $10 to $12 with a drink and tip — for a group of four people (that) costs enough money to buy a textbook,” Krystofik said.

To counteract this, she recommended using coupons or cooking in groups.

“You can sign up for loyalty programs through Earth Fare, and they’ll send you a daily deal every couple of days, and that can go a long way,” Krystofik said.

She also recommended looking for coupons in the Sunday and Wednesday newspapers or online.
Another suggestion to save money and eat healthy was to cook together with roommates or groups of friends.

“Cooking with roommates can help build community among us and can help everyone save money in the long run,” Krystofik said. “It’s not as hard as you think it is.”

The Ecoreps discussed the difference between organic and natural and how to avoid sneaky food labels. Natural is a more ambiguous definition that depends on the food’s location, manufacturer and store. It is also important for consumers to know that federal regulations allow high-fructose corn syrup to be considered natural.

Organic, on the other hand, is clearly defined by federal regulators and does not include foods grown with pesticides, genetic modification, antibiotics, artificial growth hormones, sewage sludge or irradiation. Some pesticides can still be used.

The EcoReps also suggested that students look for organic foods at Earth Fare, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Fresh Market and the Rosewood Market.

Additionally, USC hosts a farmers market on Greene Street on Tuesdays so that students can purchase fresh produce.

Students can also grow their own food on one of four campus gardens, like the one by Preston Residential College.