Jam Room Music Festival performers rundown

For the past three years, Jam Room has brought in a diverse array of bands to host their annual festival. This year's line-up is no different, with acts ranging from indie to alt-country to punk. Here's everything you need to know about main acts Superchunk, Leagues and South Culture on the Skids before you see them live this weekend.

SUPERCHUNK

Hampton Street Stage — 8:45 p.m.

For the past 15 years, Superchunk has been an integral part of the Chapel Hill Indie rock music scene. With 10 studio albums, they've made their mark to say the least.

The same year the group was established, singer and guitarist Mac McCaughan and bassist Laura Ballance founded Merge Records.  It started small, but Merge is now one of the most successful and popular independent record labels.

With punk undertones and a clear DIY mentality, Superchunk stirs up a nostalgic feel. Think of the ’90s: synchronized clapping alongside continuous guitar riffs — the group takes you back to your friends’ garage band practice. There's something about Superchunk that feels comforting, like they're the home base for alternative music.

Superchunk has become a crowd favorite and, in turn, their success has lead to plenty of great associated acts. Several of the band’s members, including drummer Jon Wurster, tour as part of the beloved indie folk group The Mountain Goats.

Whether you're an old fan or a newcomer, you’re bound to groove to Superchunk's tunes Saturday.

LEAGUES

Main Street Stage — 7:45 p.m.

They may only be a year old, but Leagues  already hit a sweet spot in their short-lived music career.

After their first album in 2013, the indie group climbed to the top in an impressively short amount of time. Relevant Magazine rated Leagues' debut album “You Belong Here” as number 7 on their “10 Best Albums of 2013,” and Amazon placed it in its "Top 100 Albums of 2013."

Picture this: combine Kings of Leon and Miike Snow. Now make them quirky and add about three times more passion. 

Now, you have Leagues.

Their catchy choruses and heartfelt lyrics make listening to their music an experience on its own. One minute, you’re dancing in your chair, the next you have chills.

After the 10 original songs on their first album, Leagues is heading back to the studio to write another hit album. Their songs get praise where it's deserved, and there's more where that came from.

Their website’s bio says, “Leagues is infectious,”  and it's not wrong. The music is clean, catchy and emotional. What’s not to like?

Leagues' set is bound to be a big hit at Jam Room this weekend, and as for their career, the sky’s the limit.

SOUTHERN CULTURE ON THE SKIDS

Hampton Street Stage — 6:45 p.m.

Who needs the B-52s when there’s Southern Culture on the Skids?

This group has been keeping it fun – and weird – since 1983, with their music that falls somewhere between rockabilly, country and surf rock.

Their North Carolina roots shine through with prominent southern drawls, but don’t let the accents fool you — there are no depressing country ballads to be found here. No matter what kind of music fun you are, if you aren't dancing to the funky banjo picking, you’re probably laughing at their hilarious lyrics about oatmeal pies, cheap wine and sex.

If SCOTS can show off such a distinctive identity through studio recordings, Jam Room’s audience is in for a treat with the live performance. And as excited as people are to see them perform, Jam Room is just as jazzed about hosting them.

“I’ve really wanted Southern Culture for a while,” Jam Room producer Jay Matheson said. “They’re right up the road, they’re a really good band, and no one has booked them in Columbia for 20 years.”